Thread: Fan speeds?

Fan speeds?

I have been doing alot of reading here and noticed there was some talk about how fast you can make the fans turn. I have an 02 SS and I do not see anything where I can adjust the speeds of the fans in Hptuner. Different application maybe?
    I was hoping a change could be made,,,as I have the temps programmed where I want them, but the primary fan turns so slow it struggles to pull the motor down to the last couple of degrees to the turn off temp. The fans feel as though they don't pull that much air, and are rather slow compared to other electric fan cars that I have. Any thoughts? Thanks, Larry.

Yes, different application.
    Yours is an On/Off type fan and on low speed they run both fans in series to reduce fan speed (1/2 battery voltage on each), on high speed mode they run them in parallel (full battery voltage on each).
    Always Support Our Troops!

Thanks for clearing that up. Could you tell me what determins low speed and high speed mode? I assume maybe when the A/C is turned on?

What I did for starters is set the primary fan to (on/180) and (off/174) and set the second fan to (on/188) and (off/180) I have a 160 thermostat but according to the computer temp it doesn't seem to open until around 169/170 or so,,,it doesn't seem to be working at exactly 160 Anyway,,,it's never gotten warm enough for the second fan to kick on, the primary is coming on at 180 and temp starts coming down but once it reaches about 175 it struggles to go lower and the computer flickers between 174/175,,,right at the threshhold of shutting off but not quite getting there. I noticed the fan was turning at a very low speed which isn't helping matters. This is of course sitting still,,,once I start moving the car down the road it cools right off and the fan shuts down. But it's only 40-50 degrees outside too. I was thinking of setting the secondary fan to work in unison with the primary to help things cool faster,,,is this a bad idea?
    I believe if the primary fan would just spin faster it would be fine, but as it is right now, it doesn't seem to pull enough air to turn itself off,,,lol. Any ideas? Thanks Larry.

Well, with your Off temp of 174 you are right on the edge of turning "off" the fan. I would bump it to at least 178 for Off and 184 for On. Set the secondary for 190 On, 184 Off

160 is where the T-stat "begins" to open. 175 is probably more like where it normally operates. It's ok to run in the 180's around town.

I use these settings with a 160* stat. I have since installed a .035 spacer between the plunger and the housing of the thermostat. This will allow the stat to open at a lower temp.

Russ Kemp

Are there any settings that can improve the cooling with the stock t-stat (just curious.) I had 160 on my previous car, but not yet on this one...
    regards,
    Luis
    2007 Blk/Titanium-two-tone Coupe, A6, F55, 3LT, NAV- Built 12/13/06. Delivered 1/12/2007!!

SOLD - 98 Black A4 Vert - Mods: Blackwing, LS6 Intake, 160T-Stat, TiExhaust, Z06 Swaybars, Baer Rotors, Y2K Polished wheels, & Vortech V2SQ 465rwhp/427rtrq

Thanks guys, I think I will take the advice from both of you and change the fan temps around and also remove the thermostat, space it slightly for an earlier opening temperature.
    I am still confused on the high speed/low speed mode and what exactly triggers that. Is there any adjustment for it on a camaro? Thanks again. Larry.

98Vert - set the On at 205 and the Off at 198
    Fan 2 set the On at 212 and the Off at 205

EC_Tune,

Will do, thanks!

regards,
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    98Vert - set the On at 205 and the Off at 198
    Fan 2 set the On at 212 and the Off at 205
    2007 Blk/Titanium-two-tone Coupe, A6, F55, 3LT, NAV- Built 12/13/06. Delivered 1/12/2007!!

SOLD - 98 Black A4 Vert - Mods: Blackwing, LS6 Intake, 160T-Stat, TiExhaust, Z06 Swaybars, Baer Rotors, Y2K Polished wheels, & Vortech V2SQ 465rwhp/427rtrq