Thread: Manifold Volume

Potential Tuner

Manifold Volume

I have a 2013 Cadillac Escalade EXT 6.2L with a Magnuson TVS 2300 Hybrid supercharger system, smaller pulley, FIC BOSCH 60 LB 650 CC injectors, headers, and cold air intake.

Does anybody have an idea what the manifold volume should be changed to over stock?

Advanced Tuner
    I have the same engine but with a 2.3L Whipple. Never found any direction on this, but I think I ended up drastically lowering the volume, and don't recall any noticeable difference while playing with the numbers. My thinking is that the outer dimensions of the blower and the stock intake are roughly similar in size, but the Whipple is filled with rotors n stuff. Plus, this volume figure should be used in the calculation of transient airflow, as when you snap open the throttle you have that volume of air that needs to be taken up by the engine. The blower/manifold, whatever volume is in there, is going to move pretty quickly.

Advanced Tuner
    I've often wondered about that one. If I do try to see if it does anything at all, I'll push it in both directions and see if I get a response from it. Mine says 6.5L, so I suppose I'd plug in 2, then 20? If nothing then 0 and 46, which are the min/max for mine.
    I've discovered many things do nothing at all, that I can tell, and some things do something they shouldn't, but the bottom line is all you can do is push it in each direction and see what happens
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

I am not sure how this will impact forced induction engines, however, for N/A engines the manifold volume is used as a basis for one of the inputs for the transient fueling calculation. This can be really helpful after adding a cam and you start getting lean tip in and rich tip out. By increasing the manifold volume you can scale transients in one setting, rather than having to manually attempt to manipulate all the transient fueling tables. Basically, the larger amount of air in the manifold translates into a larger gulp of air going into the intake port which means more fuel is sprayed. You will need to make large changes here (a 10% increase won't likely do much).
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant