Thread: How do I work with the charts in scanner?

Tuner

How do I work with the charts in scanner?

I accidentally removed injector duty cycle from my chart, and I can't figure out how to get it back. I even tried "load defaults" and it didn't show back up, even though it was on the chart as a default the very first time I turned it on...

thanks

Never mind, I just closed out the scanner and opened it up again and then it returned. I can't believe the lack of documentation resources.... How am I supposed to learn this program, buy a book on tuning, put my faith in the posts on this forum... what exactly is the best way to understand? For example, I buy a $100 HEWLET PACKARD G48 calculator, and I get a 300pg. manual that tells me how to program and do practically anything that I would want to do with it... a VERY powerful calculator by the way, got me through engineering college... is there anything similar for this program? I would think someone has written a bood on it somewhere,...although I have to admit I haven't looked at the bookstore for one yet...

thanks

I guess "configure user defined" is for this...
    Last edited by anymanusa; 03-16-2007 at 10:24 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/ the online help file

Open your editor or scanner & hit F1 gives you the help file within the software itself

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37 the getting started section

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5691 the editor & scanner quick start pdf guides that I made

FWIW i think there was a minor bug in older versions of hpt where when you clicked default in the chart display it would actually erase IDC...I think either .16 or an early version of .17 beta keith fixed it so make sure your running at least .16 if its a big issue to you.

BTW you can print out the entire help file just by clicking the print button at the top of it...I think its about 100 pages long so the documentation is there maybe you just didn't realize it
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Thanks, I know there's a lot of documentation in the help files that will help me, that I have yet to read. It's just that I'm missing some very important foundation information, to use this program effectively. For instance, what exactly is a configuration and why do I have to put one into the MPVI, and more importantly do I need to put a new one into the MPVI for each and every tune that I use? Or will one configuration suffice for all the rest of time? I haven't been able to locate that answer your help section yet.

Right now I'm trying to get the output for my LM-1 into a log file... I have connected the pinouts correctly, and gotten the title in the log, but I guess I need to 'configure' the program to correctly read the data? I don't know, it looks like a tremendous learning curve, and the help file on the LC-1 isn't good enough for me to figure it out quite yet.

I can't identify my markers either, where are they? How do I find them? When I look at a log that I put markers in, I don't see anything that stands out right away, and the 'markers' tab pulls up when I press the button and doesn't show anything in particular either.

Do I have to save a new configuration to the MPVI since I have added the LM-1 input ??? Reading your quik start guide right now. Thanks for the links above, I'm trying not to sound like an idiot, but sometimes I'll type something into the search on a help topic, and it won't provide what I'm looking for... gets a little frustrating...
    Last edited by anymanusa; 03-17-2007 at 08:28 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    a configuration is basically the tables that your logging as well as the look you see in the scanner.

When your talking about standalone datalogging the configuration is basically just taking the info from the vehicle ie Vin, operating system ID to determine what PID's can be used...you then are just applying what tables you want to log.

a different configuration MUST be programmed for different vehicles since it is Vin/operating system based...tables for an LS2 might not work properly or even be in the code for say a V6 or inline 5 cyl motor. Even from LS2 to LS2 tables can differ so you must always connect...there IS a standalone datalogging demo right in the help file I linked to...under getting started-demos-standalone datalogging...this shows you step by step what needs to be done.

If your just scanning 1 car & 1 car only you can keep the same config in the vehicle & just erase logs as you go if you choose, thats not a big deal...shoot you dont even need to hook up to the laptop to erase logs...again this is all covered in the help file though.

Again just follow the flash demo I made word for word & step by step & things will go as smooth as butter for you.

Tuner
    how come I can't enter, and no default shows up for a unit value to be associated with my TRANS TEMP sensor input on my chart configuration? Just looking for a (*F) or something, but nothing shows up, and I can't type anything into the pull down box. My car does have a trans temp sensor.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    post a scan log with trans temp being logged in the table display & i'll take a look for you.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    post a scan log with trans temp being logged in the table display & i'll take a look for you.
    Hey thanks.

I can't seem to get the chart to display the trans temp either. I must be doing something wrong. I thought I entered it as a sensor...

Also, that knock retard that shows is when I was doing a burnout to warm up the tires... I don't know how to fully eliminate torque management, I thought that the Predator tuner that I bought took care of that, but obviously not, I could tell when I was trying to powerbrake a little bit. I had it in 'competitive mode' vs. traction control 'off'.. I may be mixing things up a bit torque management-traction control, maybe I'm a little confused about that..

--oops, some of that KR is when I do a short almost 1/4 mile run... do I need to take out some timing? I should be a little advanced, as I recall saving the +2 to4% that I had added with the Predator...
    Last edited by anymanusa; 03-19-2007 at 09:51 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    im able to do it just fine just by following the instructions in the help file.

Tuner
    im able to do it just fine just by following the instructions in the help file.
    I could use a little more help than just that answer. I figured it out, I used PID instead of sensor, I wouldn't think it was a PID given that I have a direct sensor in this application... I tried to give you a hint:

I thought I entered it as a sensor...
    as to the error that I made, so you wouldn't even need to look at a file... I read somewhere where it was preferrable to use a sensor whenever possible, I thought this was a no-brainer, but apparently a PID is needed in this application.

I know you get tired of telling people "read teh help file this, that..." -I did read the file, before I asked the question, it just wasn't apparent to me to use the PID in this case.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    its done the exact same way as in the table display which you had already done and you logged it as a pid...so generally if its not under sensor its probably under the pid button. I thought maybe you werent logging it from your previous post...but when you posted & I saw it I knew it was just a matter of adding it to the graph...again being its done in the same way as the table display which you had already conquered I figured you could find your way with the graph as well

Tuner
    its done the exact same way as in the table display which you had already done and you logged it as a pid...so generally if its not under sensor its probably under the pid button. I thought maybe you werent logging it from your previous post...but when you posted & I saw it I knew it was just a matter of adding it to the graph...again being its done in the same way as the table display which you had already conquered I figured you could find your way with the graph as well
    My brain is in slow mode, as I take all of this in. I didn't remember logging it as a PID in the table display, I will sharpen up over time, I'm just not that savvy yet.

thanks