Thread: Just ordered, quick question regarding model year programs.

Just ordered, quick question regarding model year programs.

First post, and ready to get started.

I am building a FFR GTM and am starting with a 2000 C5 auto computer and harness. The computer has had vats disabled, but still wont run but a couple seconds. From a number of hours of searches and reading, all things post to codes, or VATs issues. I'm not using the BCM.

I've read a few people talk about loading a newer model year OSes.

I want to start with a manual trans program, and understand this isn’t a problem, just load it. However, I don’t understand the year/vin license implications.

For example, can I flash a 2004 LS6 OS/Tune onto the PCM out of a 2000 C5? (My motor has been updated to this spec. Heads, cam, intake, etc) Is there any advantage to this?

Does the HP Tuners credit/license follow the actual physical PCM model year, or the program loaded on it? Can I load a 2004 program, and register my credits that way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone interested in what Im building, check out my web site linked below.

David

www.gtmbuild.com

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    For example, can I flash a 2004 LS6 OS/Tune onto the PCM out of a 2000 C5? (My motor has been updated to this spec. Heads, cam, intake, etc) Is there any advantage to this?
    no, the flash file for an 04 is 1024kb in size compared to the 512kb size of the 00 file...its like trying to stuff 10lb of rice into a 5lb jar...aint happnin.

Does the HP Tuners credit/license follow the actual physical PCM model year, or the program loaded on it? Can I load a 2004 program, and register my credits that way?
    generally yes...if one file is compatible with another pcm you can load it given you are licensed for both files ie trying to put an 01 vette file into an 00 vette pcm...you would need to license both files for it to work.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks for the reply!

Couple more questions then.

My harness is from a 2000. What year PCM's would my harness be compatible with?

Is there a compelling reason to change my physical PCM to another year, or change the year of the tune on my current PCM? Again, this is a hotrod type application with no BCM.

David

Good luck with the build, those cars look AMAZING!

00 harness will be compatable with the 99-02 LS1 PCM's..

I'd suggest getting an 01-02 PCM and run the 12212156 operating system..

Basically, if you get a PCM from any 2002 V8 F-body (firebird and camaro) you'll be set.

That combination works very well for engine swaps..
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Keith,
    Doesn't the 03 Vette Z06 have the *exact* same OS & cal as the 02 Z06?
    Always Support Our Troops!

02 vette runs 12212156 and shares 2 other OS' between the 03 vette as well.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Thanks Keith! Picking up the body from the painters this friday!

Is is possible to update my existing PCM to the 2002 code? To clarify, based on foff667's reply it will cost 2 credits to apply a new os to my exisitng PCM? I havent used/received your product yet, ordered the other day. If this is the case I need to decide if I should just sell the ECU that I have and buy a used from a 2002.

You mention a PCM from a FBody would work fine. Does this also apply if my car uses Throttle By Wire?

David

David,

Check you PMs.

I will help you out, I actually have a setup for the GTM allready done and running you can use.

Phil
    FFR 2138

Kieth, you state:

I'd suggest getting an 01-02 PCM and run the 12212156 operating system..
    I just got a friends PCM that is having what appears to be VATS starts issues. This was programmed by another tuner. The OS is 12593358. When I checked the VATS and Column Lock option in the new HP Tuner version and they are disabled as they should be, but the car is still exibiting the problems consistent with a VATS or Column lock by running for a few seconds and shutting off.

Could it be the OS version? Any other tips would be a greatly appreciated...

David