Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a scan?

You need to spend a little more time hitting different cells. Below is your log with the cell count set to 25. You don't have any data from 2800 rpm and up. You may want to set the cell count before you start to log, that way, all the info that you are looking at while logging will be usable data. It will just take a little longer before you see data show up in each cell.

Ok,I did the things in your tutorial.Wrote those to my car,unplugged the maf and went for a ride.Here is the scan.I could use a little help on how to make the changes now.

How do I know what % to multiply by?

Quote Originally Posted by Timonator
    How do I know what % to multiply by?
    Boy, I bet your pipes are black. You're pretty rich.

One thing you need to fix first, before you use that scan for anything is the Commanded AFR. The commanded AFR should be 14.63 all across the board, except for PE. Some of your commandeds are 11.12 in the lower rpms and 10.78 in the upper rpms. Be sure everything is up to temperature before you start logging anything. You acquired data for almost 7 minutes before the car had come up to temperature. Set your Commanded PE to 12.8, which is a safe AFR for now. Your Commanded PE is 10.8 right now, which is too rich. You won't be able to use that scan because with the Commanded AFRs off so bad, it throws off the % Error.

When you get that taken care of, use the % Error histogram (7), click the top left hand corner to highlight the whole table, right click and copy. Open the Editor to the VE tables, click the top left corner to highlight the whole table, right click and paste special. That's it. Then scan again to see where you are. Repeat until you are satisfied, it shouldn't take but 3-4 runs.

How do I change my commanded afr and commanded pe?

How do I change my commanded afr and commanded pe?

Help/Working with VCM Editor/Tuning How To Section/User Submitted/Speed Density

The numbers in the PE table are a multiplier of your Commanded Stoich. Say you have 1.128 in the 4800 rpm block. Divide stoich (14.63) by this number (1.128) and this will give you your Commanded AFR for PE at 4800 rpm.

14.63 / 1.128 = 12.97 or ~13.0:1 AFR

If you want the numbers to insert for a desired Commanded PE, just move the math around. If you want a 12.8:1 AFR:

14.63 / 12.8 = 1.143

So, if you put 1.143 across the board, your Commanded PE will be 12.8:1 AFR. Of course, this has to be logged and verified with your wideband.

Don't change the Commanded AFR (or stoich), just change the PE for now. I believe your Commanded Stoich is OK, you just need to let the car warm up completely to operating temperature before logging anything. There are adders that richen the fuel when it is warming up (sort of like a choke).

ok thanks again.could you tell me what table to got to to change the PE please.

ok thanks again.could you tell me what table to got to to change the PE please.
    Help/Working with VCM Editor/Tuning How To Section/User Submitted/Speed Density

Okay,I've redone the ve pimary table twice now.It doesn't seem to be getting any closer to 0.
    Another problem that has developed is that when I let off the gas and push in the clutch the rpms drop to like 3-400 rpm and almost dies.when I pulled it in the driveway it did die.
    Here's my most recent log.

I did it one more time.This time I didn't have any of the weird rpm drops.But I'm still not getting any closer to 0.the histogram(7) doesn't seem to change at all.

I did it one more time.This time I didn't have any of the weird rpm drops.But I'm still not getting any closer to 0.the histogram(7) doesn't seem to change at all.
    You must be missing a step. As rich as you are, the numbers should change dramatically. Do each step on the tutorial to the letter. Also, you need to get rid of the LTFT and STFT on the table display. At the bottom where it says Used (Table): 26, that shouldn't read over 24 or you lose a lot of resolution. Deleting the fuel trims should do it.

The rpm drops are because of your cam. After you get the VE and MAF taken care of, tuning for your cam would be next.

when I multiply by % am I supposed to have a specific number in the box at the top of the primary ve table?Because right now there is no number in that box.

Tuner in Training
    when I multiply by % am I supposed to have a specific number in the box at the top of the primary ve table?Because right now there is no number in that box.
    It sounds like you may not be selecting the entire VE table prior to the "multiply by %" step. Then the entire table you selected from the scanner log will be multiplied into the VE table.
    Kipp
    2003 Z06 Blk/Blk/Torch Red
    2008 3/4T Duramax/Allison

Quote Originally Posted by r40734
    It sounds like you may not be selecting the entire VE table prior to the "multiply by %" step. Then the entire table you selected from the scanner log will be multiplied into the VE table.
    Well,it doesn't let me select the very first upper left block.

Tuner in Training
    Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, check out the attached jpeg. If you left click the square the arrow is pointing at, then the entire table should be selected and turn blue. Clicking the same spot on the table in the scanner will do the same thing.

If this is not working, then maybe you have a bug that somebody at HPT can help with.
    Kipp

Quote Originally Posted by r40734
    Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, check out the attached jpeg. If you left click the square the arrow is pointing at, then the entire table should be selected and turn blue. Clicking the same spot on the table in the scanner will do the same thing.

If this is not working, then maybe you have a bug that somebody at HPT can help with.
    Yes,that is exactly what I am doing and just like in your picture the upper left block doesn't turn blue.

Yes,that is exactly what I am doing and just like in your picture the upper left block doesn't turn blue.

The upper left block won't turn blue. Clicking it makes the entire table turn blue (highlighted, see above jpeg). Right click in the blue area, and choose copy.
    Last edited by 2000C-5; 04-22-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Not A Tuner
    How about placing the arrow in the first data cell in the upper left corner and click-drag to the lower right corner.....in other words manually select the whole data area.

DH

2004 MSG A4

Appearance: Billet Plate&Sill/SS Insert/Screens/Blackout/Lowered/CCW SP500

Perfomance: 416 CI/228-232@114/AFR 225/FAST/LS2 TB/36#Injectors/Honker/RPM(IV)/Vig2400/Z06 Ti/Kooks/3.42 Gear/Hotchkis/Bilstein/Z06 Springs/Eradispeed/Hawk HP+/Trans Cooler/B&M Trans Pan/RonDavies with EOC/Nitto R2's/AMWcan/Rocker Rails/Frame Savers

Mods & Tune: A&A Corvette

??? RWHP / ??? RWTQ
    1/4 mile: mid 11's ??
    WSIR 1:37.68

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
    How about placing the arrow in the first data cell in the upper left corner and click-drag to the lower right corner.....in other words manually select the whole data area.

DH
    I've tried that it still won't let me highlight the upper left block just like in the jpeg above.

Tuner in Training
    I've tried that it still won't let me highlight the upper left block just like in the jpeg above.
    You're right, that single box won't turn blue. As long as the rest of the table is selected (blue), then that's all you need. Then, if you right click on that cell (or any other cell in the table) and do the multiply by % thing, it will do just that. If that's is what you are doing, then you're doing everything right and we'll move on to the next problem.
    Kipp