Thread: wideband location on turbo car

wideband location on turbo car

I want to have my WB installed permanently.
    With the same tune:
    First I had my LC1 installed in pass manifold. Worked great on the cold car and was throwing Error8 (overheating error) if I would turn off the car and have it on again. With the fear of damaging the sensor, moved it way back.
    Installed it in S-pipe(past cat,my cat was empty) Same error and my tune was off(in first location I had my AFR followed commanded , in second – it followed but advanced in time, I think because now gases where traveling much further to reach WB)
    So, in first location I were getting immediate response=better tune. Error code remained. Still too hot? The Volkswagen O2 sensor is installed right in the manifold on all VWs and works no problem, that’s why I don’t think that temperature damages the sensor, more like error8 is a nature of LC1 controller. Opinions?

Now, what should I do on the turbo setup? At this point it doesn’t matter for me where to weld o2 bung.

1. Leave the sensor in the manifold

2. Install o2 bung right in the Y

3. first turn of the turbo down pipe
    4. as far as possible, before the cat inv
    www.turbofirebird.com tuned with HPT MPVI Pro, LC-1.

Tuner
    i believe the best spot is 24" downstream from the turbo

anywhere that it doesnt get too hot and as close to the engine as possible is ideal...
    you can also go buy a piece from innovate motorsports..HBX-1 heat bung extender.its like $80 US....its a must have for a Forced induction Project
    helps keep the temps on your wideband cool enough to not burn it out

also it needs to be in the collector and not in a primary..usually just a few inches past where the primaries all merge together works well if you can beat the heat
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner
    After the turbo is best, as pressure (between the cylinder head and turbo) will alter the readings from the wideband.

^^^ Like he said...
    You don't want to place a wideband ahead of the turbo. PLX (WB Mfg.) goes into details as to why you don't want to do that.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Thank you guys I almoust got it installed 8" away from the turbo, Now will move it all the way down.
    HBX-1 - is it just like a little piece of tube that goesh between O2 and pipe?
    Ive planed to make Copper heat sink. Wounder if that would be enough?
    www.turbofirebird.com tuned with HPT MPVI Pro, LC-1.

Quote Originally Posted by iGoRa
    Thank you guys I almoust got it installed 8" away from the turbo, Now will move it all the way down.
    HBX-1 - is it just like a little piece of tube that goesh between O2 and pipe?
    Ive planed to make Copper heat sink. Wounder if that would be enough?
    I've tried copper heat sinks...and I even have problems on NA cars with catalytic converters....which is why I suggest the HBX1....its a little more than as you call it a "little piece of tube that goes between O2 and pipe"

its pretty well designed and is a far better heat sink than just a few pieces of copper
    -Scott -