Thread: Really high IATs

Really high IATs

My friend just got done putting on his pacesetter headers with the high temp coating. After driving around for a bit we retightned a few things and was done. Hooked up to scan it and see where we're at. His IATs were at 114*F! Ok, well maybe it was just heat soaked from sitting there for a bit and went for a drive to get the air circulating. They were still reading 110-114*F. Allright, I was going to put on a different intake when we got to where we were going. Put the new one on (same thing I have on my car) as a half fwi/hai and took off the IAT extension and moved the sensor back ontop and in front of the tb. Well, the temps now read 76*F when it was ~70*F outside. Ok, cool. Get going and on the drive back to the highway they start to climb up and peak at 110*F. Get on the highway and cruise at around 70mph and the temp doesnt go below 102*F. So, we got off the highway and went to the autoparts store that was right there. Threw a new sensor on and it still does the same thing. Its not the scanning program or the intake as I scanned my car ~2 weeks prior and the IATs read within 5-10*F of ambient while moving. Any clues as to what it could be?

Edit: he also has an 01 Regal GS

I think we figured this out. Turns out that everything was OK with the sensor and it was reporting correctly. The issue turned out to be some type of "flaw" in the actual intake design.
    Regal GS Site Owner / HPT Moderator / FTV6 Mod

yeah its called piss poor placement by GM
    -Scott -