Thread: "You do not have a license for this file."

Tuner in Training

Angry "You do not have a license for this file."

Um... so I have a whole bunch of .hpt files that I've been using as references based on changes I'd like to make. About five minutes ago I "upgraded" from 2.1.12 to 2.1.18. Now, I get this everytime I open someone else's file:

This is very annoying. HCI much? Apparently not. How do I turn it off forever, or do I have to hack the resource? If I can't get rid of it then screw 2.1.18, I'll revert to 2.1.12. I don't have time for this.

Thank you.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    to turn it off license the file.

We now allow you to read files without eating any credits.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Does this mean you will not be able to use a bin file someone else has posted without using credits?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you've never been able to...you license per pcm unless you opted for a year/model or tunershop package. You can open, view, edit any file...you just can't save it.

Way to politely ask for help. lol
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    Clicking on the "no thanks" button is a small price to pay for being able to read a tune from a car that you aren't licenced for .

Well said.

So does this mean that if you have unlimited credits on a model/year that you can no longer download one off line and then simply save it on the PCM you are tuning with?

You are telling me that from this point on despite having unlimited model/year I will have to manually copy/paste every table from another tune to the tune that comes out of the car?

Given that you never really know if a tune you are downloading off the net is a 'good' tune or not, doesnt the idea of paying to use the tune (especially since HPT is getting alot of those tunes as donations from the community) seem kind of foolish for an end user?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I am completely confused by your post crash???

The only thing thats changed is that hptuners now allows you to read any pcm absolutly free...no need to use credits unless you actually want to tune that vehicle that you just read.

This will help in development times and also gives you the end user the ability to "see what your getting yourself into" beforehand.

Nothing else has changed...you can download tunes just fine & if you've got the unlimited model year for those files theres never been an issue saving it. Again nothing has changed other then giving you the ability to read files without licensing them first, nothing else.

What is so confusing here?

We haven't restricted the licensing in ANY way, in fact we've opened it up. You can now read ANY vehicle at all, regardless of license.

You are simply given the OPTION to license files you open that you did not have a license for previously. If you do not want to license the file, simply click no thanks and view the file JUST AS YOU DID before 2.1.18, no differently.

When tuning vehicles, we have ALWAYS required that you have a license for the file you have open, and the vehicle you are writing to. This is nothing different and is nothing new. Since most people simply read the vehicle and use that file as their base, only one license is required as that same license covers the file and the vehicle, obviously, since that file was read from that particular vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash41301
    So does this mean that if you have unlimited credits on a model/year that you can no longer download one off line and then simply save it on the PCM you are tuning with?
    No. You can still use it as long as it falls under your year/model license. However, as always, simply downloading a tune from the net and flashing it into your vehicle is STRONGLY recommended against. You should always use the file you've read out of YOUR vehicle as YOUR base.

You are telling me that from this point on despite having unlimited model/year I will have to manually copy/paste every table from another tune to the tune that comes out of the car?
    That is not what anyone is telling you. You can read and open up any file from any vehicle that HPT Supports.

Given that you never really know if a tune you are downloading off the net is a 'good' tune or not, doesnt the idea of paying to use the tune (especially since HPT is getting alot of those tunes as donations from the community) seem kind of foolish for an end user?
    You should not be flashing in tunes from the internet regardless. You can use them as reference and compare then just fine, as you have with any previous version of VCM Suite.

Advanced Tuner
    I can handle the the new license pop up and I am really happy we can now download from other vehicles without tunes. However I do agree that it is a little annoying to have to deal with that message every time I open a file that I don't have licensed. Would it be possible to move that dialog so it is only seen if someone tried to upload an unlicensed file to a vcm?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    only problem with that truckmann is there are people that like to do email tunes & it would be nice for a customer to send you their tune, you license it, modify it for them, send it back to them.

Maybe something less obtrusive like a License file in the file tab or something. Of course you can't please everyone but this might appease some.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for being so rude. It was inappropriate and I take it back. I just liked that I didn't have to click "No thanks" before, but now do.

Senior Tuner
    Maybe link it to the SAVE icon? Possibly have another option under the FILE pulldown where it says SAVE, then SAVE AS and finally LICENSE. Just a thought. Although it doesn't bother me in the current state.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    only problem with that truckmann is there are people that like to do email tunes & it would be nice for a customer to send you their tune, you license it, modify it for them, send it back to them.

Maybe something less obtrusive like a License file in the file tab or something. Of course you can't please everyone but this might appease some.
    I understand I was just throwing an idea out there. I like your idea.

Advanced Tuner
    I guess the good thing about the window coming up when you open the tune file is that you know that it's going to cost you credits to save the file before you start working on it .

Ohhh I understand now. I thought you guys were saying that if for example I had unlimited 98 Fbodies that I would have to individually liscense a "file" to put it into another 98 Fbody.

In that case, this is just opening up the door for us.

I apologize for getting upset.