Thread: GM supercharger reflash 2.4

Potential Tuner

Question GM supercharger reflash 2.4

Hello forum,

I'm new here but Ive been reading these boards for a while now, Im pretty close to buying the HPtuner package.
    However I couldnt find an answer to some things, I did try to search.

My car is an 2002 Z24 5spd that we are piecing together a mild (6psi or so) turbokit for. My thinking was that the GM supercharger reflash would make a nice baseline tune to work off of. I do understand it is made for a milder 4.5 psi supercharged application, however I think it would be easier to work off of this than to fake the 2 bar MAP etc.

Id like to know if

- I could load the dealer installed reflash myself using HPtuners if someone provided the file? If so could someone send it to me or post it?
    Or does the dealer have to load it because its a completely different "OS" than the factory one?

- Or does someone have a tune I could use as a starting point? I checked the repository post and didnt see one for my engine.

Thanks in advance,

I do look forward to playing with this software.

Potential Tuner
    Ok, I guess Im asking if u could apply the reflash the dealer normally would using Hptuner and someones supplied file. Or do you have to have GM flash it and then tune from there.

Thanks

i wouldnt talk to GM about hptuning. they barely have the tech knowledge of how to reflash there own files. WIth 6 psi get hptuners and work from there. its not that much different for turbo u have to change. just get a wideband and save up for the pro version and you will have more than gm could possibly know. my opinion is you dont need a supercharger reflash for a turbo set up.

Btw if you get hptuners and your vehicle is on the list you dl your own file from your vehicle so u cant necessarily use anyone else file.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Redhot,

I guess my thinking was that their reflash program would make a better "starting point" to tune than the NA programming that comes with the car, since it already makes provisions for boost (2 bar map).

Advanced Tuner
    You can use someone elses file by comparing them with the compare button and just zero in the tables.

Also are you running a 2 bar map sensor, if not their 2 bar map tune is worthless since you probably have a 1 bar stock sensor. Also with HPT it really doesn't matter if you start with the SC tune since a turbo makes power at a totally different rpm so the tables will still be way off. my advice is just go with HPT and skip reflash... especially since there are probably GM reflash tunes already in the repository. Good luck!
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Julex
    You can use someone elses file by comparing them with the compare button and just zero in the tables.

Also are you running a 2 bar map sensor, if not their 2 bar map tune is worthless since you probably have a 1 bar stock sensor. Also with HPT it really doesn't matter if you start with the SC tune since a turbo makes power at a totally different rpm so the tables will still be way off. my advice is just go with HPT and skip reflash... especially since there are probably GM reflash tunes already in the repository. Good luck!
    just for the record comparing a GM s/c "junk" w/ the regular 2.4L "junk" won't help out. The tables are a bit different along w/ the fact that anything dealing w/ the MAP sensor is scaled differently. As well as the 2bar vs. 1bar deal. Think of it as what the LS1 guys have from HPT the 1bar, 2bar, 3bar options, but just going through the bin repository or dealership to get that flash to work off of.

Just clarifying. If you're boosting a 2.4L twin cam quaddish type car.

My personal recommendation would be to always start off the GM S/C flash, when boosted, as your base and then tune w/ HPT goodies to fine tune your fueling and timing needs in your setup.
    Pontiac Grandma 2.4L LD9 (GT30R - super special option)
    12.4@118mph, spinning and being sloppy, 432hp 424tq

Potential Tuner
    Spyhunter,

Yes this was my plan initially. To use the reflash as a baseline. So if I get a copy of the reflash file will I be able to pretty much duplicate all its tables and whatnot over the stock programming? Or since it uses a 2bar would I have to do the 2bar fakey.
    I was hoping I could just flash it in complete (like a dealer would) but I guess the licensing wont allow you to just burn someone elses supercharger file over the factory file?(sorry if Im not completely understanding how to go about this).

Thanks!

Cranky

Originally Posted by Spyhunter
    Just clarifying. If you're boosting a 2.4L twin cam quaddish type car.

My personal recommendation would be to always start off the GM S/C flash, when boosted, as your base and then tune w/ HPT goodies to fine tune your fueling and timing needs in your setup.

Advanced Tuner
    I wasn't aware it was a different PCM update, I figured it was like the Cobalt stage upgrade where the tables are still intact. In either case it comes down to whether you want to spend the 100$ for a reflash that still needs to be tuned, which is easier though, or just do it yourself, but takes a little testing to get a good base, then tune from there like you would anything else. Basically it's down to time vs money
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Advanced Tuner
    No as he just explained you cannot just compare, you would either have to get the reflash or make your own fake 2 bar. Either way you will need a 2bar map sensor. Good luck. I'm guessing you get more resolution with the reflash so if you have the money, go that way.
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

All you have to do with a 2000-2002 LD9 is go to the repository download the stock GM S/C reflash , lisence your ECM and do a "Write Entire".

Then you have the S/C reflash. Get a 2bar MAP from a Supercharged GTP (about $15 at salvage) start tuning...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 96sunfire
    All you have to do with a 2000-2002 LD9 is go to the repository download the stock GM S/C reflash , lisence your ECM and do a "Write Entire".

Then you have the S/C reflash. Get a 2bar MAP from a Supercharged GTP (about $15 at salvage) start tuning...
    Or just go to the dealership and get the one for the GMPP S/C kit. Either or. I prefer new sensors over sensors that were sitting in the junkyard for any amount of time.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Julex
    I'm guessing you get more resolution with the reflash so if you have the money, go that way.
    You are correct. You get expanded tables (more resolution) that accomodate for 2bar.

The regular N/A version of the programming is N/A only, it's completely not worth faking a 2bar when you already have the option direct from GM to have a boost ready program to upload to your car.

Potential Tuner
    Ahh, this is mainly what I wanted to know. So I *can* apply the GM programming myself.

THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by 96sunfire