Thread: so...anybody wanna see what a Stuck open solenoid looks like in a log..LOL

so...anybody wanna see what a Stuck open solenoid looks like in a log..LOL

went to tune a buddys car...
    doing a 75 wet shot
    everything in the tune is fine...
    I feel comfortable that he can spray it safely with no issues....

so we find a nice log stretch of road...
    he want to only spray it in 3rd for the moment so that we have a nice steady pull to go by and can watch for issues better...

frame 4575 is start of 3rd gear pull
    around 4600 he started to spray
    frame 4624 he let off....
    the rest is a stuck open solenoid...feeding NOS at a constant stream into the engine...
    layed a nice layer of Ice all over everything close by...TB,MAF, IAT, LID, Intake,...left ice chunks inside the intake..

we coasted down to a stop with the ignition off...let the vehcile sit and thaw out..cranked the motor with coil packs discennected and pedal to the floor for flood clear mode....got it nice and emptied out before starting it back up...

we got back to his garage...disconnected the nozzle..open up teh bottle and it just flowed out like there was no solenoid at all...

car in this log is a 98 camaro
    vig 4000 stall
    longtubes with y-pipe and full exhaust..no cats
    ls6 inatke
    some scorpoin roller rockers
    stock cam and heads
    over 130,000 miles on the vehicle

proof that LS1's are a lot tougher than people give them credit for sometimes

and no damage to the motor
    Last edited by S2H; 05-01-2007 at 11:17 AM.
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner
    I bet that one made his eyes pop!!!! Probably scared the crap out of the both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1
    I bet that one made his eyes pop!!!! Probably scared the crap out of the both of you.

I believe the saving grace was the fact that I made the tune safe enough to run a 150 wet shot.....and the fact that the NOS froze the MAF sensor so it richened it up all to high hell....

where he has it is in the bellows between the MAF and the TB...so when it went to all Nitrous and we were just coasting...not a lot of vacuum at idle...so it just froze everything close by...
    Last edited by S2H; 04-30-2007 at 09:25 PM.
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Interesting..and scary. I installed a 75 wet shot on my 02 camaro. I'm already running a 7psi procharger. Now I'm afraid to activate the NOS.

just make sure your solenoid isnt bad
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    just make sure your solenoid isnt bad
    or use redundancy
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

I would like to know who says these motors arent good. I know so many with 100k+ miles, even 200k miles, that have had the ever living shit beat out of them. These motors can take some abuse
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I am confused about one thing. You say you are using a 75 wet shot but it frooze the MAF. A wet shot should be after the MAF. Where are you injecting the NO and fuel?
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

he has the nozzle in the bellows halfway between the TB and the MAF.
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by arthansen
    I am confused about one thing. You say you are using a 75 wet shot but it frooze the MAF. A wet shot should be after the MAF. Where are you injecting the NO and fuel?
    TB was closed forcing it back out the wrong way. they are tough no doubt but i know alot of 98's letting go this year. seems to be there time to go.lol mine took alot of hell from 90K to 130K then the #6 rod got in a fight with the engine block and crank sensor.
    98 Z28m6,ramVDS,lakewood LCA,sphon SFC,NOS 125shot,HPtuned LQ4.045milled heads,224/228 581/588 comp cam,fast toys lid,ported 85maf,ls6 intake,long tubes with custom exhaust

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    I would like to know who says these motors arent good. I know so many with 100k+ miles, even 200k miles, that have had the ever living shit beat out of them. These motors can take some abuse
    speaks the truth, mine went to 206K being sprayed every week with over 100 shot

Tuner in Training
    Was this a Nitrous Express Carbon Solenoid?