Thread: EIO Pinout connector to RJ45

Advanced Tuner

EIO Pinout connector to RJ45

Possible to connect a wideband lc-1 using a female rj45 to male rj45 to eio connector to MPVI pro? 8 pins.. I don't see why not. But the close proximity of the wires might be a problem.

Also, would it matter if the wire I used was stranded or solid? I have both. I'd be punching down the lc1 wires onto 110-type jacks.

Or perhaps someone could tell me where to get that eio connector both female and male.

I'm not sure of voltage/amperage limitations of RJ45...
    but I would think its a little much for such small wires...
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah thats what I thought at first but then I saw the lc1 wires.. Not much thicker, if anything.. skinnier. However, there is more shielding on the lc-1 wires.. no doubt about that. 24AWG is some of the utp cat 6 i have. Copper.. I don't know what the gauge and make-up is of the lc-1 wires.. The ones I'd need to convert would be the grounds and the brown signal wire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Electrical Math
    from Ryan Cole

Wire gauge Ohms per 1000ft
    20 10
    22 16
    24 25
    28 65

The TIA-568 spec which defines Cat5 (cat 3 as well) specifies that either one shall be no more than 9.38 ohms per 100 meters. Our testing of name brand Cat 5 says more like seven ohms per 100 meters, so 3 ohms per hundred feet is safe and conservative. — Scott Carter

Ohms Law
    E = IR (Volts = Amps x Resistance)

We'll say 22 Gauge wire at 250 Ft under a 1 Amp load
    22 Gauge @ 250 Ft = 4 Ohms
    E = 1 x 4 or E = 4 Volts

So basically you should expect 4 Volts consumed leaving you 8 volts at the AP end.

Let's do another situation:

28 Gauge over 50 ft at 2 amps
    28 Guage @ 50 ft = 3 Ohms
    E = 2 x 3 or E = 6 Volts

So in this case you dissipate half your volts. Could be bad, or if I calculate correctly, possibly worse.

6 Volts x 2 Amps = 12 Watts dissipated over the wire
    12 Watts / 50 Ft = .24 Watts per foot

I would not expect that to start a fire outright, but you could use it to keep your pipes from freezing in the winter.

Using 2 pairs as you did in the example will halve the voltage drop--good idea.
    this guy is talking about custom poe devices. Supplying power to things like access points while also supplying data. I'm not going to make any assumptions. I'm not too too good with electrical stuff. But that information does help out a bit.