Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficulty getting VE tables in line

Advanced Tuner
    Check out your IAT numbers. This could be affecting you greatly like it does with me. Also make sure you are tuning in the same part of day each day, and same kind of weather. SD tuning will take all weather variables into play and screw you up!

If you haven't already, set your bias to 1, and also log up to 2 decimal places for better smoothing, and set a filter for IAT temp range, and TPS.
    2002 BSM T/A WS6 #3371 (Sept 12, 2002) "LOB"
    TSP Tqr II (232/234 113lsa +2), ETP Heads, FAST 90/NW 90, 42#SVO, 25% Powerbond Pulley, FLP catted LT's, B&B Tri-Flo, QTEC, Smooth bellows, Fast Toys 85mm lid & Grn Filter, Lou's SS, LG SFC's + X Braces, LG LCA's, LG PHB, LG DSSL, LG TA, Koni SA's lowered, Z06 Front brakes, Earl's SS lines, IForged Classics (18x9.5" F, 18x10.5" R) & very big and expensive stereo... (Eclipse, Zapco, Focal, Lotus)

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Fury
    Check out your IAT numbers. This could be affecting you greatly like it does with me. Also make sure you are tuning in the same part of day each day, and same kind of weather. SD tuning will take all weather variables into play and screw you up!

If you haven't already, set your bias to 1, and also log up to 2 decimal places for better smoothing, and set a filter for IAT temp range, and TPS.
    How do I set my bias to 1?What does that mean?And what do you mean by log up to 2 decimal places?Here is my most recent scan & tune if that helps any.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Timonator
    How do I set my bias to 1?What does that mean?And what do you mean by log up to 2 decimal places?Here is my most recent scan & tune if that helps any.

In editor, it is airflow>gen airflow> cylinder charge temp> bias = 1 accross

In scanner, you go to each histogram, open it up, and you can modify your filters, and you can modify the amount of decimals logged. You need to hit the number 7 tab, or whatever tab your logging, then click the modify icon, then you can do what you need to
    TSP Tqr II (232/234 113lsa +2), ETP Heads, FAST 90/NW 90, 42#SVO, 25% Powerbond Pulley, FLP catted LT's, B&B Tri-Flo, QTEC, Smooth bellows, Fast Toys 85mm lid & Grn Filter, Lou's SS, LG SFC's + X Braces, LG LCA's, LG PHB, LG DSSL, LG TA, Koni SA's lowered, Z06 Front brakes, Earl's SS lines, IForged Classics (18x9.5" F, 18x10.5" R) & very big and expensive stereo... (Eclipse, Zapco, Focal, Lotus)

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Fury
    In editor, it is airflow>gen airflow> cylinder charge temp> bias = 1 accross

In scanner, you go to each histogram, open it up, and you can modify your filters, and you can modify the amount of decimals logged. You need to hit the number 7 tab, or whatever tab your logging, then click the modify icon, then you can do what you need to
    What will changing the cylinder charge temp bias do?

Senior Tuner
    and why would you change your BIAS to 1?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra
    and why would you change your BIAS to 1?
    I forgot the exact technical data on it so don't quote me, but its something where the bias is shifted away from the IAT since that gets heat soaked very quickly and more towards the internal air temp of the engine, its a blend of the two data points. There is a write up on it I believe within this forum a while ago, think beginning '06 end '05. This is more on LS1 based engines where we have issues chasing down the VE table b/c IAT throws everything out of whack so quickly.

Senior Tuner
    yes i know it throws it out of whack, i was up till 2am last night figuring out how to arrive at the real numbers for the BIAS table... now not only i know that was the culprit behind a lot of the VE values not converging on a stable value, but i also have a solution on how to fix it. don't ask for the spreadsheet unless you're willing to put up with a very long, ugly and manual excel process. i have no idea how i'm gonna automate it yet.
    anyway, the few sample cells i did it for during my experiments agreed with what we've already known. the BIAS curve is a bit too high on values, once i optimized them, most ranges ended up with a bias number lower than the stock curve. apparently our usual mods of cramming cold air into the intake tract do work, we cool it better than the stock application. the big difference was at idle, as the range of values there varied wildly, so i'm not sure what that means really. more on it later, must do work. IM me if you want more ugly details...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra
    yes i know it throws it out of whack, i was up till 2am last night figuring out how to arrive at the real numbers for the BIAS table... now not only i know that was the culprit behind a lot of the VE values not converging on a stable value, but i also have a solution on how to fix it. don't ask for the spreadsheet unless you're willing to put up with a very long, ugly and manual excel process. i have no idea how i'm gonna automate it yet.
    anyway, the few sample cells i did it for during my experiments agreed with what we've already known. the BIAS curve is a bit too high on values, once i optimized them, most ranges ended up with a bias number lower than the stock curve. apparently our usual mods of cramming cold air into the intake tract do work, we cool it better than the stock application. the big difference was at idle, as the range of values there varied wildly, so i'm not sure what that means really. more on it later, must do work. IM me if you want more ugly details...

Haha wow! So when are you becoming a software engineer?

Shoot me a pm with more info what's involved, if it is too ugly then I likely won't bother since I am so close to finally putting to gether my MAF/VE plot. But it would be nice to get a better balance since the temp swings here in NJ are huge, up to +/- 40*'s in one day is possible at extreme times and I'm sure this could help.