Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real time tuning upgrade and USB capability

Tuner

Real time tuning upgrade and USB capability

I have the HP tuners VCM editor suite and cable but I'd like to upgrade to the real time tuning upgrade and I would like to know if a new hardware interface is available where I can use a USB cable and a newer computer. I have an older hardware interaface where the cable is a 9 pin serial cable and I have to use an older computer. I've tried those Radio shack 9 pin serial to USB adapters but they don't work and I've tried everything.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    yes, all of your upgrade options can be viewed on your customer login page at www.hptuners.com also you can find detailed directions for everything right there as well.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Bill

Thanks I logged in and saw the directions and pricing for the USB upgrade but I don't see anything about the REAL time upgrading. I see this info

Adding vehicle support
    1 BAR speed density enhanced ordering
    1 BAR MAF enhanced ordering
    2 bar and 3 bar ordering
    Serial port to USB upgrading.
    Last edited by zo6racerx; 05-20-2007 at 06:02 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The Real time tuning is an extension of our custom operating systems and you can view which one of our custom operating systems have rtt just by looking for the RTT next to the tabs as shown here

Tuner
    Bill

This might be a really stupid question but how do I know which system I already have? I looked under help and saw this

VCM Suite Product: VCM Editor 2.1.18.0
    VCM Suite ID: 00000A3322

Year/Models:
    Chevy Corvette (V8) 1998
    Chevy Corvette (V8) 2002

How do I know which one I need to get?

Also looking at those it says serial interface only. Does that mean I can't upgrade to USB at the same time?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You have licensing for stock operating systems currently.

Again, specific instructions to purchase a custom operating system(s) are on your customer login page at www.hptuners.com that outline the process/pricing.

Serial interface customers are under a different pricing plan than our USB customers who are eligible for our credit licensing.

Tuner
    HI Bill

Sorry to be a pest here but I guess I"m still trying to figure all this out for my friend who owns this software and hardware. I've tuned his 02 Z06 using this software after a bit of trial and error and it's worked out well for the most part. Now I"m just trying to upgrade his stuff to make it a little easier to tune using RTT and USB for a newer computer.

Please bare with the newbie questions. His 02 Z06 is a naturall aspirated car so I assume it's a 1 bar system already. It has a mass air meter so I assume he has a licence for and is using the 1 bar MAF enhanced OS correct?

Is there a way to verify this so I know I'm not screwing this up. When I look at his file, under OS it shows all the OS systems but says unlicenced next to all of them. I'm definetely upgrading his system but I need to know what to do. I"m trying to read the directions on the page and it says

1bar MAF Enhanced Ordering

These instructions "ONLY" apply if you have a serial interface. If you have any other interface, these instructions do not apply.

What do you do if you have or are trying to upgrade to USB? I'm trying to upgrade the USB and OS at the same time? What do I do? If I could call someone I would but I don't see a number.

Sorry again for the stupid questions just wanting to make sure I order the correct stuff for this car.

Thanks again

Dave King
    Last edited by zo6racerx; 05-20-2007 at 08:23 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What do you do if you have or are trying to upgrade to USB?
    If you want to upgrade to the USB interface do that first then worry about the custom operating system stuff as its done separtly anyway.

Tuner
    Thanks, last question I promise.

What if I want to upgrade to get the analog cable too? How would I go about getting that?

Also besides the cost what is the difference between upgrading to a USB MPVI Std or a USB MPVI Pro (Enhanced IO)?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by zo6racerx; 05-21-2007 at 05:16 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Tuner
    Bill

I think I have most of my questions answered now. Thank you. Just a couple more questions. How do I know which OS system I'm using now and which one to order. My 2002 Corvette Z06 is mass air so and its naturally aspirated so I will order the 1 Bar MAF enhanced upgrade?

#2 - It says the Pro version comes with 8 credits. What are credits?

Thank you for your time and prompt answers to my questions.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    as stated on your upgrade page if your upgrading it does not come with ANY credits. You just keep whatever licenses you currently have on your interface & credits need to be purchased for further licenses.

Credit info can be found here
    http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcm...creditsfaq.php

-Bill

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    as stated on your upgrade page if your upgrading it does not come with ANY credits. You just keep whatever licenses you currently have on your interface & credits need to be purchased for further licenses.

Credit info can be found here
    http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcm...creditsfaq.php

-Bill
    Great, what about the first question? How do I know which OS system I'm using now and which one to order. My 2002 Corvette Z06 is mass air so and its naturally aspirated so I will order the 1 Bar MAF enhanced upgrade?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Just look at the OS tab, if they are all unlicensed that means your probably running the stock operating system still. And again, unless he's purchased any custom operating systems it WILL be the stock operating system.

-Bill

Tuner
    AH...Ok.... Now its making sense Yes I believe I'm using the stock operating system. I understand everything that you have said and I've learned more in this post than all the other ones combined. My only question that I can think of that I don't understand yet is which HP Operating system do I want to purchase? Since the Z06 Corvette uses both speed density and maF systems which one do I want to purchase? I want to use the real time software to adjust fuel and spark tables in speed density mode and mass air mode. Is that possible? This car has a big cam and heads, but the stock operating system dials it in good. Will the 1 bar maf enhanced system do this? Just a little confused on the difference between 1 bar speed density and 1 bar MAF systems. Especially considering a lot of GM uses both systems on the same car.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you plan on staying in Speed density you should consider our 1 bar sd custom os. If you plan on keeping the MAF enabled or enabling it at some point you should consider our 1 bar MAF enhanced custom os.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

rtt

from what i see (don't see )...
    ...RTT is NOT available for 4 cylinder cars yet....i assume the 2bar options ARE.......... but didn't see that either........so ?
    i have 2006 2.4 pontiac solstice....... what upgrade options ARE available for my application ????

Tuner
    Bill

I think I understand everything! It looks like the advantage of going to the 1 bar enhanced speed density system is it gives you more control for heavily modified na engines where you don't have enough control with the stock maf system. 2 and 3 bar systems are for power adder cars and the 1 bar enhanced maf system is for guys like me who still use the maf tranfer curve for WOT tuning and only use VE for backup (stock type setups) but want to take advantage of real time tuning? Yes?

DO I finally got it?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzybil
    from what i see (don't see )...
    ...RTT is NOT available for 4 cylinder cars yet....i assume the 2bar options ARE.......... but didn't see that either........so ?
    i have 2006 2.4 pontiac solstice....... what upgrade options ARE available for my application ????
    custom operating systems are currently only available on most gen 3 V8 cars/trucks & some gen 4 V8 cars/trucks. No custom operating systems are available for your application.