Thread: IDLE AIR CONTROL ALWAYS 0 - WHY?

Potential Tuner

IDLE AIR CONTROL ALWAYS 0 - WHY?

Trying to begin part throttle tuning, and first want to get it to idle without the surging. I've read posts suggesting getting the iac numbers between 50 and 80, but when I log iac using vcm scan or autotap, the number I see is 0. I'm missing something basic here.

I tried opening up the throttle stop screw which opened up the throttle blade and raised the idle, but when I tapped the gas, it took a couple seconds for the idle to come back down (no good). I also unplugged the wiring harness from the iac, and when I tapped the gas the idle stayed up high without dropping. Sounds like the iac is doing something, so I plugged it back in.

I've verified that my throttle position is at 0 at idle and goes up to 100 when the pedal is pressed.

I need ya'lls help.

99 camaro ss
    wisper lid with holley filter
    stock maf with no screen
    ported throttle body
    lsx 78 mm intake
    TR 224/224 112 cam
    flp headers
    99 camaro ss M6&&wisper lid, stock maf/no screen, ported throttle body, lsx 78 mm intake, TR 224/224 112 cam, flp headers, hooker cat back, underdrive pulley, coon-ass voodoo

Advanced Tuner

Re: IDLE AIR CONTROL ALWAYS 0 - WHY?

You need to check for vacuum leaks for starters. If there are none, then you need to back off your set screw on your throttle body until you see some of those IAC counts appear. If your throttle blade has a hole in it larger than stock, then you may have more troubles...
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6: SLP Lid, Adj. Panhard, SFCs, CAGS!, Hotcam, Hooker Shorties, Katech Tensioner, Catback with Dynomax 17221 3\" Muffler, Mobil-1, Bosch +4s, 160 Stat, !EGR, !MAFless, !FRA, S3 TB

Potential Tuner

PROBLEM FIXED!

I was getting 0 in the display because I didn't add it to the table first. BASICS.

My iac was 145, then with a little adjustment of the throttle stop, it went to 50.

FYI - I took the throttle stop screw and screwed it in from the top to make adjustments much easier.
    99 camaro ss M6&&wisper lid, stock maf/no screen, ported throttle body, lsx 78 mm intake, TR 224/224 112 cam, flp headers, hooker cat back, underdrive pulley, coon-ass voodoo

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by ranskyss

FYI - I took the throttle stop screw and screwed it in from the top to make adjustments much easier.

Yep, that is the best way to do it by far, adjust then log for 2 min, turn off, make a hair adjustment( 5 secs) repeat.
    01 Trans Am WS6, &&M6 ASC# 3201 420.5 HP 394.2 TQ&&TSP 228R, PRC 5.3 RHs, QTP\'s with catted Y, Asp, HS Rockers, Jantzer TB, !Baffles+sealed airbox,Factory Hurst w/LSS, Magnaflowatback, Direct-flo lid