Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cylinder balance test on LS2 GTO?

cylinder balance test on LS2 GTO?

Anyone get this to work? I lock the idle to a set RPM in the VCM controls and it just says "IAC not ready" or something to that extent. Any tips here? The help menu didn't have much on it at all .
    Joe

Nobody??? I have searched here and the help files and can't find an answer to how to get this to work .
    Joe

I think you have a couple problems.
    1. Don't scan or it won't work. Just click the "Connect" icon.
    2. Just click the Cyl Balance test box no IAC stuff.

IF everything is +/- 10% your GTG.
    Always Support Our Troops!

OK, I'll try again. It is not scanning at the time though, just connected as you said. I thought I read that I had to enable the IAC control or something like that. I'll give it a shot now. Thanks.
    Joe

Yup, it says "iac control inactive" and won't highlight the box .

Advanced Tuner
    What is this cylinder balance stuff for?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

It kills each cylinder one at a time and tells you the % variation between each one to tell you the health of each cylinder.
    Joe

Tuner in Training
    I've been trying to figure this out today also. I've got an 05 gmc and it says the same thing.

Bill emailed me saying that the cylinder balance and the CASE learn will not work on the LS2 and they are working on getting the CASE learn to work shortly. This is the kind of stuff that would be nice to know BEFORE you spend a bunch of time trying to figure out why it isn't working .
    Joe

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Not every vehicle supports every feature of Bi-directional controls. With that said Keith is working to get the CASE learn up and running for LS2's and other pcm's.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    i tried doing the balance test on my 04 ls1 commodore and got the same error
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Not every vehicle supports every feature of Bi-directional controls. With that said Keith is working to get the CASE learn up and running for LS2's and other pcm's.
    That is certainly understandable, but how is the end-user supposed to know what's supported and what's not ? Any plans on getting the balance test working for these also in the future?
    Joe

Tuner in Training
    what vehicles are effected by this? Is it just ones with electronic throttle bodies?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 05vho
    what vehicles are effected by this? Is it just ones with electronic throttle bodies?
    Again, it varies...considering we offer tuning for dozens of different pcm's & ~100 different model vehicles many will not have all of the same features.

Bill, I understand fully what you are saying, but look at it from the consumers point of view. Take the CASE learn, for example- it shows it is activating, tells you to rev it to the cutoff, etc. Now, the person who does not know (is not "in the loop" so to speak) that it does not work with their vehicle is sitting there revving the snot out of their car trying to get it to work, thinking maybe they did something wrong. When I try to do a case learn, it will let me rev it to the cutoff if I do it quickly enough and then not say anything more- if it worked, didn't, etc. How do we know what the hell is going on, we didn't write the software . Another thing is I read here that you have 4 seconds to gradually rev it to the limiter- it appears to be the only way it does not say "TPS too high", so I am *assuming* that is correct, yet it says nothing of 4 seconds in the help file- just says "gradually rev to the cutoff".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching or harping on you guys, just saying why this can be frustrating from our perspective .
    Joe

Advanced Tuner
    Also.. with cars that ETC=100=TPS=83.. What is the car looking at.. The TPS or the ETC?

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone know if there is an update for this thread yet ? I also tried a cylider balance test on a LS2 GTO and could not get it to work.

Not available yet... See post #10
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Will case learn allow us LS2'ers to change the timing on the fly via VCM controls?
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    CASE learn mainly has to do with changing out pcm's.