Thread: Northern Virginia - Seeking Mentor

Northern Virginia - Seeking Mentor

I've decided to give my hand at tuning, but not until I gobble up as much info from this site and Greg Banish's book.

I was told finding a mentor is a god send when learning the art/skill of tunning. I'm looking for someone skilled in tunning with HP in the NOVA area that is willing to walk with me and share some of their great wisdom..

Please let me know if you would care to share your knowledge with me. I would greatly appreciate it.

TO those on the forum that continue to help and assist - my hats off to you gentlemen as well. I look forward to picking your brains as well.
    Last edited by valdeztke; 04-28-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Juan, next to reading every good reference you can find, my advice would be START SIMPLE. A C6 with a bigger can and supercharger is not an ideal learning platform for the novice tuner. I would seek out a simpler combo to start. Something as simple as a stock car with a modified cold air kit can help you reinforce a few of the basics before progressing to something that needs so many layers of adjustments like the C6 with all those changes.

Once you can confidently adjust the MAF xfer (and other functions) to go along with the change in inlet plumbing, you can progress to something like a blower _OR_ camshaft change.

The year didn't plan out as I would have liked. I ended up knee deep in Army stuff that ate up all my free time. Well I've taken off the green suit and picked up a cushy civilian job, so now I've got the free time to devote to my studies.

I did finish Greg's book and also picked up another great book on tuning;Jeff Hartman's book How to Tune and Modify Management Systems. I also plan to get a copy of Bob's at home training seminar.

I want to gather, learn, read, absorb, as much tuning knowledge as possible.
    I hope to educate myself to a level of competence to perform a tune on a GEN IV V8 vehicle with basic modifications - headers, cam, etc. by this fall.

Then by next spring move into forced induction.

If my goals are unrealistic please let me know.

Any advice, tips, or support is greatly appreciated.

to the top

First off become very familiar with the scan's and logs. Do some cold starts and don't touch anything to see what happens and when. If you don't see the data you want, add different PID's to the Table view of the scanner.

Once you start seeing a pattern of what happens and when on a stock or near stock engine then you can proceed to modifications. If the car is already modified it will be tougher because you won't know exactly what is "normal" and what is caused by a modification.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    First off become very familiar with the scan's and logs. Do some cold starts and don't touch anything to see what happens and when. If you don't see the data you want, add different PID's to the Table view of the scanner.

Once you start seeing a pattern of what happens and when on a stock or near stock engine then you can proceed to modifications. If the car is already modified it will be tougher because you won't know exactly what is "normal" and what is caused by a modification.
    Thanks a bunch for the info. I am picking up a fully stock vehicle to have a "test mule". Currently I have a twin turbo Corvette that I'm selling just becuase like you said, it isn't going to help me to understand the basic mechanics involved if I scan an already modified car.

Quote Originally Posted by valdeztke
    Currently I have a twin turbo Corvette that I'm selling just becuase like you said, it isn't going to help me to understand the basic mechanics involved if I scan an already modified car.
    Just because you don't understand the basics, does not mean you need t sell your car....

P&P Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by imphat0260
    Just because you don't understand the basics, does not mean you need t sell your car....

From an educational standpoint having a stock car that you can modify and monitor the tune through its progression is much better than having a car that is all finished.

I'm not selling the car only for that reason. Its a nice C5 and I'd like to upgrade to a C6 (again).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2004683

She is a wonderful car but her departure is for the benefit of my long term goals.

That thing should sell quick......

P&P Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by imphat0260
    That thing should sell quick......
    Lots and lots of tire kickers.

Plenty of guys interested at $15,000 hahah

The C6 is as you know, a different animal. Congrats on the "upgrade"
    You're going to LOVE the VE constants in the C6 if you get an 06 or later!!!

Read up on BlueCat's VE editor. That should help you out a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    The C6 is as you know, a different animal. Congrats on the "upgrade"
    You're going to LOVE the VE constants in the C6 if you get an 06 or later!!!

Read up on BlueCat's VE editor. That should help you out a bunch.
    This is exactly the type of help/knowledge I need. If you were in Northern VA I'd be happy to throw out some $$$ to learn.

Greg - I do plan to attend your course along with another course as well designed more specific to HP Tuners.

I read half your book when I first posted this thread...then got sidetracked, lost the book , and had to buy another copy. My contribution to you

Thanks for all the help and I look forward to picking up a stock LS2 and getting into the tuning.

Greg - have you ever been to DC w/ a full tour of the Pentagon and Cap Hill? If you are ever down here and want some hands on of either - I work at both.

...and had to buy another copy. My contribution to you
    I'll have to return the favor later. You've got mail...

Greg - I do plan to attend your course along with another course as well designed more specific to HP Tuners.

I read half your book when I first posted this thread...then got sidetracked, lost the book , and had to buy another copy. My contribution to you

Thanks for all the help and I look forward to picking up a stock LS2 and getting into the tuning.

Greg - have you ever been to DC w/ a full tour of the Pentagon and Cap Hill? If you are ever down here and want some hands on of either - I work at both.

I'd love to take you up on the tour! But we already committed to a vacation this year. Maybe next year!

Man 20K is a STEAL for that vette, if I weren't in the process of buying a new daily driver right now I'd be all over that thing. That is a serious turbo kit!

I tuned a vette that the owner made/did his own th400 swap (was M6) and it's a stock bottom end with truck heads and EPP's "FI" cam (like a 232 240 on a 115LSA I believe) and running just 9psi on the waste gate springs the car ran 10.41 @ 138MPH this weekend on a poor 1.91 60'. He had brake issues and it wouldn't hold at all to be able to leave under boost, but man 138 is MOVING on a shakedowns on a stock bottom end. Since the local dyno I tune on isn't load bearing, it's totally tuned on the street like my own turbo car. I give the success to that kit. I *LOVE* that TTi X setup. Those BB twins will make boost revving at idle! Best of luck on the sale. If it weren't such a short-notice deal, I had been contemplating selling my own T/A and going C5 and TTi after tuning the setup. Every kit TTi manufactures makes excellent power.

If you ever make it down to Richmond give me a holla, we had the Mid Atlantic Vette challenge on Saturday, and will have the Nat'l Corvette Challenge this coming weekend. Best of luck with the car and mentoring, and the sh*tty traffic up there in NOVA

-Steve Williams
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    Man 20K is a STEAL for that vette, if I weren't in the process of buying a new daily driver right now I'd be all over that thing. That is a serious turbo kit!

I tuned a vette that the owner made/did his own th400 swap (was M6) and it's a stock bottom end with truck heads and EPP's "FI" cam (like a 232 240 on a 115LSA I believe) and running just 9psi on the waste gate springs the car ran 10.41 @ 138MPH this weekend on a poor 1.91 60'. He had brake issues and it wouldn't hold at all to be able to leave under boost, but man 138 is MOVING on a shakedowns on a stock bottom end. Since the local dyno I tune on isn't load bearing, it's totally tuned on the street like my own turbo car. I give the success to that kit. I *LOVE* that TTi X setup. Those BB twins will make boost revving at idle! Best of luck on the sale. If it weren't such a short-notice deal, I had been contemplating selling my own T/A and going C5 and TTi after tuning the setup. Every kit TTi manufactures makes excellent power.

If you ever make it down to Richmond give me a holla, we had the Mid Atlantic Vette challenge on Saturday, and will have the Nat'l Corvette Challenge this coming weekend. Best of luck with the car and mentoring, and the sh*tty traffic up there in NOVA

-Steve Williams
    I hear ya on the TTi kits. They are the best kit out in the market. They just don't poor thousands of dollars into marketing. They just let the numbers from the track speak for their kit. This kit is running around 7psi on the stock block.

Its a fantastic car! A guy offered 19,500 and I said OK....then he couldnt come up with the money

Steve - could you shoot me an email? [email protected]

I'd like to chat with you about sharing some knowledge (I have no problem $$$ for your time) as I'm getting closer and closer to pursuing a business venture in the Corvette world here in NOVA.

Sorry, just now saw this, it's been a busy week. I'll shoot you an email now.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com