Thread: "Unable to connect to vcm" problem

"Unable to connect to vcm" problem

I am having trouble connecting to my vcm. I have already connected to it and adjusted the tune. I went to start the car and the ignition clicked, shut off, and reset itself. I turned off the VATS in the tune and thought that that might be the problem so I tried to connect the hp tuners and link up the VATS again. I hooked everything up and it said "Unable to connect to vcm. Check connections and make sure the key is in the run position." I double checked everything and still the same error. I then proceeded to check all of my fuses. They were all good. I also tried deleting the cgf file, still no good. The battey has plenty of voltage. Just to make sure the software was working right, I hooked it up to my freinds 99 SS and it read it just fine. When the mpvi is connected to the obdII it has power. I descided to connect my dtc reader and it linked just fine and returned no codes. I am at a complete loss as to why I am having this problem. I really need some help!! Thanks in advance!!

By the way I did not have the scanner open while trying to connect to vcm. I have tried everything that I can think of!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    don't forget to add in the part about after you adjusted & wrote the tune to the pcm you were then able to read the pcm fine. Not until after you put everything back together did you have a connection issue.

This may help in diagnosing what happened as we believe this issue is not software/hardware related & rather vehicle/wiring related.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Yes. I don't believe it is the software. That is why I put that I tested it on my freinds car and it worked just fine. Thanks again for your help Bill. I really appriciate the quick responses!

Im having the same issue as well. Just wondering if you ever figured out what it was.

Potential Tuner
    I'm also having the same problem I've checked fuses connections re install hp tuner software tried it on about 10 diffrent cars and it says the same thing unable to locate vcm my busy light seems to blink a lot to

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shooky View Post
    I'm also having the same problem I've checked fuses connections re install hp tuner software tried it on about 10 diffrent cars and it says the same thing unable to locate vcm my busy light seems to blink a lot to
    Try a new Usb cable.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you've tried it on 10 different vehicles that fall on our supported list you might consider contacting support.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    im in the middle of talking with them now they have responded back really fast im kinda wondering if maybe i got a faulty interface ive only had it since the beginning of the mounth when i first hooked it up it was completely fine and now my cars been down since the 18th whats the chances of the interface having somthing wrong with it bill could there be somthing from my anti virus messing with the software maybe

after looking up some of the cars that i tried to scan they arent on hp tunes suported list so maybe thats why they didnt read so there are actually only 4 cars ive tried that fall on the supported list
    Last edited by shooky; 05-26-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Potential Tuner
    i did finally get my 2000 sunfire to read ill have to wait till i go back to my shop to see if it will read my bonnie

Tuner in Training
    Mine has done this occasionally, I just unplug everything and plug it back in and hit "connect" and it seems to work. I run windows on my Mac when I am using HP Tuners so I have always thought maybe I was getting that error because of that.