Thread: trans issue

Senior Tuner

Question trans issue

Well was tired of the slipping trans and replaced mine. Well, still have the same problem. Now I'm thinking it's in the tune. Could anyone give me any insight into why I'd slip at 2500 rpm have it grab again at 3200, slip at 4800 grab again at 5400 and so on. Would adjusting the force motor current table have a chance of clearing this up?? Pretty broad question I know, but maybe someone here has gone through something like this and can give me a bit of insight??

Senior Tuner
    Here is my tune and a log of what's going on. I've returned most of my tune settings to stock in search of this issue to no avail.

Attachment 6718

Attachment 6719

Look to frame 2126, 2390, 2744, and 3218. You'll see the jump in rpm at those points. Like I said, I just had the trans swapped and have the EXACT SAME issue at the exact same points I had before. This is why I think it is in the tune. Paul

Paul,

Could you post your stock tune. I only have a 1999 Grand Am tune, and there are no 2000 Grand Am tunes in the repository. I wouldn't zero the shift time table, I leave that table stock. If the shift time is greater than this table, the line pressure is raised to speed up the shifts.

Russ Kemp

Senior Tuner
    stock tune 2000 grand am

Attachment 6724

As alwasy Russ....thanks again for looking at this thing...

Paul

I had the tire size programed in and put that to stock as well you should know. The tires on the car now are 235 45ZR 17. Stock is 225 50R 16.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 06-17-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Paul

Try this trans tune, your 235/45/17 tires are actually taller than a 225/50/16. You had the Trans Revolutions/Mile higher than stock, should of been lower. So I set up your speedo & trans tables.

Russ Kemp

Hi Paul,

I've setup a few how-to's as well on my website (Thanks Russ!!). See if that helps at all if you are still having troubles.

-xon
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Senior Tuner
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll try your tune tommorow Russ and see what happens. Xon, the write up looks solid too. I just found out about the dissable for the "DAM SECURITY" in our cars a couple of weeks ago. You probably already know I've replaced mine three times and it would still f-up once in a while!!

Again guys, thanks, I'll let you know how it goes!

Paul

Senior Tuner
    The "studder" in 2nd gear seams to be OK at low throttle position(in the scan above it was doing this even at low throttle positions). I haven't had the chance to push it yet to see if we've cleared it up, but we might be on the right track. Going to get out later, I hope, and give it a little highway run and see how it feels. I'll keep you posted....

Paul

Senior Tuner
    Looks like you nailed it Russ. Drove it hard from a stop to about 70mph and no slip. Thanks so much guys.

PS: Russ, when is YOUR book on how to "properly" use the HP Tuners Program going to come out? Put me at the top of the "buyers list"!!

Last edited by MMGT1; 06-20-2007 at 05:47 PM.