Thread: slight popping and backfire log attached

Potential Tuner

slight popping and backfire log attached

can anyone look at this log, I just did a H&C on an 04 GTO and took alot of the tune from others with similiar set-up. Car idles, and drives great but has a litle popping at idle and a little backfire while cruising, more noticable with cut-outs open. Just learning HPT so bear with me, just got me engine management book and hopefully it will help. I just recieved my WB too and will be hooking that up.
    specs: 04 GTO, LS2 heads, 232/234 595/598 comp cam, headers, cut-outs, intake.

Thanks, eric

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 99z51r
    can anyone look at this log, I just did a H&C on an 04 GTO and took alot of the tune from others with similiar set-up. Car idles, and drives great but has a litle popping at idle and a little backfire while cruising, more noticable with cut-outs open. Just learning HPT so bear with me, just got me engine management book and hopefully it will help. I just recieved my WB too and will be hooking that up.
    specs: 04 GTO, LS2 heads, 232/234 595/598 comp cam, headers, cut-outs, intake.

Thanks, eric
    I'm guessing your car runs smooth, but is a little softer than you expected through the powerband and on top end. Try getting your O2 readings
    >= 950mv and see what happens. You can't use the stock o2s for fuel mix, but they are very responsive to relative changes in the mixture and are consistent. 907mv ~= stock mixture at WOT. Try richening things up a little. An EASY way to do this is to play w/the PE vs RPM (increase the number) or just decrease the IFR at 0 kpa 2% and see what happens.
    Note, the headers also move the o2 sensor downstream to a cooler location. This fact and the fact that overlap in cams scavenge fuel through the exhaust can throw things off a bit.

Good luck. Get a wideband on there if you can.