Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused on Vehicle support.

Tuner in Training

Question Confused on Vehicle support.

Ok well maybe I'm not confused on the vehicles that are supported but its more like my car is totally confused on what the hell it really is, so I'm unsure on what I would need to register/purchase if I were to try tuning my car with this suite.

Judging by my screen name you may say I'm crazy because there was never a 97 beretta. Here is the background on my car.

1995 OBD1.5 Beretta, Converted to a 1996 OBDII Beretta Engine bay harness, ran off of a OBDII 96 ecm for a few months. Found a neat little trick that if I plug in a 97 Chevy Venture ECM it will also work.

So here I stand, 1997 Venture ECM running a 4k mile '05 3400 lower end with '05 3500 heads and intakes, Milzy Motorsports Stage 1 Cam, S&S headers, 3.33 geared 4t60e, 2060 stall converter and a EP LSD.

Now I already have a tuning setup, but I'm trying to find something that allows for more modification... I'm not totally sure if what I have is extremely limited but sometimes it feels like it is.

So would the pre packaged 8 credits work for me? what would I have to activate to get it to work? and would it allow me to open multiple car type bin files for reference without hacking into the credits.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Our supported vehicles list http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php gives you a rundown of our supported vehicles.

Neither a 95 or 96 beretta or 97 Chevy Venture are supported.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    97 Chevy Venture is the same thing as a Pontiac Montana IIRC..... So I don't see why the Venture is not supported.

I know the 96 Beretta isnt supported and neither is the 95, because the 95 is OBD1.5 and the 96 is the early edition 256k OBDII system. I didnt expect either of those to be supported.

So are you telling me you can't do anything for me? I can also run a 97 Monte Carlo Bin I think...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 97Beretta
    97 Chevy Venture is the same thing as a Pontiac Montana IIRC..... So I don't see why the Venture is not supported.

I know the 96 Beretta isnt supported and neither is the 95, because the 95 is OBD1.5 and the 96 is the early edition 256k OBDII system. I didnt expect either of those to be supported.

So are you telling me you can't do anything for me? I can also run a 97 Monte Carlo Bin I think...
    Same computer, different OS that we are not going to support any time soon.

Might consider going back to OBD1 and use the $5B PCM and use TunerCat. Then you can go supercharged if you need it too! Might be another alternative if HPT isn't looking at that PCM to support.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah that would be a good idea, since i already have OBDII tuning, and I currently upgraded from OBD1.5 to OBDII... I'm NOT going back to OBDI. Thats the dumbest responce I have heard in a long time..

So Bill are you telling me that your software Wont allow me to write a supported 97 Montana or Monte Carlo bin file to my 97 Venture ECM??

You want a tuning solution, you don't like the answer, don't bash the person who is giving you good advise. You have no clue of the OBD1 solutions, so enjoy nothing then. There is more refinement and detail in some of the OBD1 solutions than early OBD2. It has been around a LOT longer and is supported much better.
    Last edited by n0dih; 07-09-2007 at 09:06 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 97Beretta
    So Bill are you telling me that your software Wont allow me to write a supported 97 Montana or Monte Carlo bin file to my 97 Venture ECM??
    correct. You could use a 97 montana or monte carlo pcm and edit the file within perfectly fine but since we do not support the venture pcm we won't allow you to write another file to it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by n0dih
    You want a tuning solution, you don't like the answer, don't bash the person who is giving you good advise. You have no clue of the OBD1 solutions, so enjoy nothing then. There is more refinement and detail in some of the OBD1 solutions than OBD2. It has been around a LOT longer.
    I do know the OBDI solutions, I already attempted that route and it did not work, OBDII was the only other way.

I was hoping for a BETTER OBDII tuning solution, for example offering more tables to edit, I'm finding out that this equipment is not going to fit the bill. I will stick with what I currently have since it allows me to do more with any 058 ECM than this software will.

Can the 0411 PCM do V6? Can you swap in the LS1 PCM's? I thought it could with for the Vortec 4300 V6 from 2000-up. It is a great PCM to swap for a Vortec 350/454, which I am getting ready to do soon on my 99 K2500 454.

Tuner in Training
    I've already swapped to a 16217058 ECM wich came in a Montana, Venture, Monte Carlo, and so on... I'm just suprised that this software won't allow me to use any of those ECM's and just overwrite whats there, it sounds like it's restricted down to only supporting ones of a certain OS.

Tuner in Training
    what you can do tho, is make sure the pcms are the same number

take your pcm to your local Napa with a vin# to a supported car that uses the same pcm

have them reflash the O/S for the vin number that you provided

happy tuning.

the problem is the os not the pcm.

just make sure the pinouts are the same for both models....

NAPA can flash PCM's?

How much do they charge for it?

Tuner in Training
    Well I'm back to try this one more time.

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a 97 monte or montana bin file and see if my car will run off of it... If it does then I may be interested in purchasing the suite.

Is there any specific OSID I should be looking for?? I know there can be a few for one year alone and I'm not sure if the 07-05 Montana and Monte support means you cover all osid's for that year/model.

Tuner in Training
    Other question I had is if I do individual vehicle registration does that cover just the ecm's serial number? or the Vin number? I'm assuming that my best route would be to do year/model licensing, since this would allow me to have a spare ecm in case anything were to happen to the current one... Correct?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We support all vcm os id's for the vehicles on our supported list.

Our single vcm licenses lock to the vcm's id number which is unique to each pcm.

Tuner in Training
    Ok thanks, so my best route would be to use the 4 credits and do a year/model registration once I figure out what ECM is compatable with my setup.
    1996 Toy Beretta
    3500/4t60e-HD LOTS of mods
    100 Shot Nitrous...
    12.48@113 Oct 2017

Tuner in Training
    One last question... If I post a OSID can you tell me if its supported or not?
    1996 Toy Beretta
    100 Shot Nitrous...
    12.48@113 Oct 2017

If the OS ID is valid (according to GM) for the VIN on the PCM, and the VIN decodes to a vehicle we support on the supported vehicles list, than its supported.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Hrmm, well I had a 97 Monte ECM that was flashed with a 97 Venture bin file, so I'm assuming its not going to be supported since the ECM still carries the Monte vin, and I bet the vin/osid doesn't match up.

Ok well my best bet to test this is to just get a 97 Montana ECM and see if it will run my car as is.

Thanks.
    1996 Toy Beretta
    100 Shot Nitrous...
    12.48@113 Oct 2017