Thread: 98 F-body speedo change

Potential Tuner

98 F-body speedo change

Is it possible to change the speedo on a 98 F-body? All I see is one space under "current" with 7.71 lowlighted grey. Then under "new" there is a blank space that you can put a number in but anything you put in comes out invalid. So what's the deal here? I am looking at getting 3.73's in place of my stock 3.23's..... so I am going to need to change my speedometer!

Thanks

The 1998's use the tire dia/gear ratio. So for your 3.73 gears, take the calculated tire dia 24.903/3.73=6.676, then hit the commit button.

Russ Kemp

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Bill

1320ft needs to understand that 24.903 is used for the stock tire dia, not 25.7. Using the measured/advertised tire dia when changing the speedo is a common mistake as it raises the WOT shift speeds causing no WOT shifts. Plus the speedo will read higher than the actual speed.

Russ Kemp

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The demo is not meant to explain what number go in and more of why they must be calulated a specific way. The same "how do I calculate for new tire size or new gears on my 98 camaro" question pops up about once a week which is why I made the demo just to show people how it works on those pcm's. I can, however, add in a blurb to the effect of "gm uses 24.903 as the effective stock tire height" or something.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks guys! I knew there had to be a simple procedure So, I am going to need to use the 24.903 for tire diameter? Is that only if I have my stock tire size? When you change tire size from stock then do you use the measured tire size? My car is 98 SS by the way.....

Thanks