Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: HP Tuners and GM 2.2 j-body Eco S/C

Tuner in Training

How To: HP Tuners and GM 2.2 j-body Eco S/C

Ok, as a lot of you know, the eco s/c reflash isn't able to be read or edited with HP Tuners...BUT that doesn't mean you can't still have the eco s/c and use HP Tuners for more than just scanning. I've been doing it for about a month and a half now How? Completely different pcm reprogrammed from stock calibration.

YES, you can use HP Tuners with the GM ecotec supercharger

NO, there are no complicated rewiring or sensor swaps required

YES, it does run just fine

NO, lost resolution on the 2.5 bar fake is not really a problem

Ok, so here's what you need to do. First, obviously you need HP Tuners. Second, you'll need a wideband O2 sensor with a 5v output you can hook up to HPT. Third, a second ecu, like one from a junk/salvage yard. I found one for $50, if you need help finding one, just ask and I'm sure me or someone else can help you out. Some other recommended things are a spreadsheet program like Excel, a calculator (there's one on windows or on VCM scanner), time, and gas money. But don't worry, this is definetly doable, especially if you follow this guide (at least that's what i'm hoping haha).

Ok, so you've got the required supplies. First you need to temporarily swap the new pcm in place of the old, s/c reflashed one. The pcm is located conveniently on the passenger side of the engine bay near the firewall. There are 2 connections you will need to remove. This is done by simply pulling the gray piece that goes over each one back all the way. Then you can just pull/pry them off. You may need to pull the pcm away from the firewall so it has clearance to remove the back connector. Once the old one is out, just follow the reverse steps to put the new one in. Now use the VCM Editor to Read the stock tune (or alternatively just download one from the internet). You'll probably want to make sure you get the right type based on whether or not the car's got a manual or an automatic transmission. To read the tune, open the VCM Editor, hook up the HP Tuners cord, select Flash from the Editor, and then Read Entire. It should go through the progress then after you click Begin or something like that. After it's done make sure to save it. I would recommend saving 2 copies, one as an original, and one to tune on. After you've done this you can put the s/c reflashed pcm back in for now.

Brief Summary:

From here, you'll need to fake the 2.5 bar tune and change the injector constant, as well as turn off VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System). You won't necesserily have to start tuning fuel until you've already got a preliminary tune flashed to the pcm. Fuel tuning is something that will be done gradually (starting out at slow speeds and low rpms and working your way up eventually into full boost). Transmission shift points, rev limiters, various constants, etc. will also probably need to be changed, but you can do this as you find the need for it.

I tried to post all of this info on here, but it exceeded the maximum post size, so to find the detailed instructions check this link:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...=10208&t=10208

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc. feel free to ask, and I'll see what I can do to help clear up anything.

Good luck!

Tuner
    Solid writeup, thanks!

Tuner in Training
    No Problem if you have any questions let me know

is there any updates on this? i am putting a supercharger on a 2.2 for a buddy and im trying to figure out how to tune it. its a 07 2.2 automatic any help is appreciated
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet08 View Post
    is there any updates on this? i am putting a supercharger on a 2.2 for a buddy and im trying to figure out how to tune it. its a 07 2.2 automatic any help is appreciated
    Just happened to get on here and saw this thread got resurrected haha. What kind of help do you need silverbullet? The link in my original post has more details, but if you have any specific questions I can try to answer them.

Long time no see John... Life still good at Boeing? BTW, do you have a copy of the config you were using with the fake 2.5 bar? I have one that I was going to post for some people, but it appears to be corrupt....

P&P Tuning

i guess my main question was is there any other way in tuning the 2.2 VCM? i read your thread partially and saw you were using a LSJ computer then making your own fuel tables basically. i have a wideband and everything but i have seen quite a few of these cars done with s/c and im pretty sure they didnt do it this way. any newer updates on getting this done?

i guess my main question was is there any other way in tuning the 2.2 VCM? i read your thread partially and saw you were using a LSJ computer then making your own fuel tables basically. i have a wideband and everything but i have seen quite a few of these cars done with s/c and im pretty sure they didnt do it this way. any newer updates on getting this done?
    No LSJ computer was ever used.... Its either this way (Fake 2.5 bar), Tthe stock 1bar Alpha N, or the GM "Crap Flash" that you can't modify....

P&P Tuning

ok yea i read that wrong. So where did you get the computer reflashed to start with? did you just have a factory s/c flashed into it? and explain a little on the base shit tune thats not tuneable? im trying to weigh out all my options thank you for the help

ok yea i read that wrong. So where did you get the computer reflashed to start with? did you just have a factory s/c flashed into it? and explain a little on the base shit tune thats not tuneable? im trying to weigh out all my options thank you for the help
    The ECO SC Reflash is not tunable. You can't even read it.

P&P Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    07 uses a completely different computer than us J-bodies. you actually have like a maf and speed density. I wish I was you, you have it sooooooooo easy.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    07 uses a completely different computer than us J-bodies. you actually have like a maf and speed density. I wish I was you, you have it sooooooooo easy.
    Leafy is correct.. I didn't even notice this was for a Cobalt.... To Silverbullet08, Have you even read the PCM yet? This should not be an issue.... You would just need to rescale the MAP Linear and offset to use the other sensors. The PCM should read up to 80kpa (or 11.6psi) in stock form with the correct information and sensors...

P&P Tuning

yea its a 07 cobalt 2.2 i tried reading it but it kept stoppin on step 2 saying invalid license or somesort. but i think it might be a wrong beta version might have to be the older version. im sending a copy of it to bill to have him check it out when i can scan the car again. so yall are sayin i may just have to rescale a couple tables to run with the new bar sensors? as far as i know he doesnt have them but hes only going to be running the stock pulley like 10psi or so. Its my first one of these to do so anything yall know about doing this shoot it at me im trying to get everything squared away before i have it all torn apart and into it.

emailed Bill and havnt gotten a reply from him yet. I hope there is support for this car. I know people have put superchargers on these cars before and used the factory computer but i cant find anyone now that i am looking lol. hopefully he sends me a email back soon I am probably going to start the swap in a couple hours

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    This. Us j-body guys got screwed by both gm and HPtuners. Tuning for anything but na is a major pita.

yea so ive heard. does anyone know anyone i can talk to in order to get a few questions straighted out?

yea so ive heard. does anyone know anyone i can talk to in order to get a few questions straighted out?
    What are the questions?

P&P Tuning

how are the 07 cobalts that are running a supercharger swap getting access to thier computers to tune? are they doing some kind of bypass or are they actually just using hptuners straight up?

how are the 07 cobalts that are running a supercharger swap getting access to thier computers to tune? are they doing some kind of bypass or are they actually just using hptuners straight up?
    HPT, or another vendor (Trifecta)..... I still assume you have not looked at the file for this car yet, have you?

P&P Tuning

no still havnt been able to open the file AND STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN A EMAIL BACK FROM ANYONE IN SUPPORT AFTER 4 DAYS!!! it says its supported in the supported vehicle list unless HP is 4 years behind in updating it. I have already done the swap its sitting in my garage waiting to be tuned. I put the LSJ two bar maps on it so i know il have to rescale it and play the maf frequency table and tune some VE. As far as how the swap went i would highly recommend whoever trys this to go ahead and buy ZZPs swap kit. The kid who brought the car and kit to me thought he had everything but only had about 50% of the parts in reality. It needed a belt, heater hoses, IC pump brackets, manifold gaskets, core support needed to be notched, custom CAI, Fuel rail adaptor for fuel line, injector harness cut and soldered, maf harness extension, TB plug extension and conversion to 8 prong, MAP plugs cut and soldered, vacume lines, upper readiatior hose, different wiper fluid box, and bolts for the intake mani since the LSJ ones wont work. I prolly even left parts out of that. ZZP has a pretty nifty kit that is supposed to knock out all this stuff and make the install easier. hopefully i dont have to have trifecta tune this car after already owning a tuning software thats supposed to support common GM vehicles.....