Thread: Solstice turbo 2.4L "is it safe" ?

Potential Tuner

Solstice turbo 2.4L "is it safe" ?

hello to everybody.... Im still buying all the parts for turbo project.
    actually i have:

turbo garrett t3/t4 hybrid.
    BOV turboXS
    intercooler
    Intercooler piping kit 2.5"
    Waste gate
    downpipe
    complete exhaust 3"
    AFR autometer cobalt
    Boost Gauge autometer cobalt
    CAI
    manifold

... but i just have 1 question... can i install and tune the car without injectors or FMU? i have not anything to increase the gas pressure.. can i work with the stock gas pressure at only 3 or 4 psi for now ???? what do you recommend me ? is it safe?

it will be just for a while.... in 1 or 2 months maybe i will buy bigger injectors. If this is ok ....this tuning will be working for a few months. 1 or maybe 2 months.

And what about the ECU ? do i need some software for tune the car right ?
    i was thinking buying a wideband ...

thanks for viewing my post.! & hopping u can help me!

Tuner
    only 3/4 PSI the stock tune will damn near take care of things. on the 2.2 L61 the stock ECM will handle things fine up to 2psi and is on the rich side (high 10's low 11's) so at 3/4 psi it's dang near ideal.

i'm not sure if the Hahn project included new injectors, but they built one hell of a 2.4 Solstice (or sky, i forget) that pushed near (or over, forget again) 300whp when they were done.

if you're going F/I i'd definitely get a wideband tho. preferably before install.
    The '07 Aura XR
    [In] XM ExpressEZ
    [Next] intake res delete, Tint, Eibachs

The Procharged Ion - SMP Stage 2 QC
    20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift, Procharged, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq, NO TUNE

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3tech
    only 3/4 PSI the stock tune will damn near take care of things. on the 2.2 L61 the stock ECM will handle things fine up to 2psi and is on the rich side (high 10's low 11's) so at 3/4 psi it's dang near ideal.

i'm not sure if the Hahn project included new injectors, but they built one hell of a 2.4 Solstice (or sky, i forget) that pushed near (or over, forget again) 300whp when they were done.

if you're going F/I i'd definitely get a wideband tho. preferably before install.
    There are turbo Solstices putting out anywhere between 260 and 390 horsepower at the wheels on a stock bottom end. No failures have been reported yet.

Use larger injectors.

Potential Tuner
    I found this post and have a question -

My Hahn kit has a 'locked' ECM flashed by Vector. We tried to read the ECM with HPTuner with no success. So I have no idea what settings were changed. I should be able to go back to old Solsticeforum posts and find bits & pieces, but it would be hard.

I have a spare ECM I bought from Spalding (the wrecking co. that got most of the mules in '06) and will be going to the dealer to get it set to my vin.

Has anyone developed a listing of changes to ECM settings to produce a base starting point for fine tuning the flash on a Hahn stage III?

The Hahn stage III uses a boost fueler with settings as follows:
    idle/cruise = 55 fuel psi
    4 lbs boost = 60 psi
    8 lbs boost = 70 psi
    12 lbs boost = 80 psi recommended max boost for the stock 2.4
    15 lbs boost = 90 psi

* Wester's Garage sells HPTuner and a tune - but not for what I have.
    * PCMforless doesn't tune for a turbo 2.4
    * I believe I could talk Dave at Performance Autowerks to do an unlocked tune for me but I haven't asked.
    '06 Solstice #781 of the 1st 1,000
    Hahn stage III turbo
    GReddy BOV & boost controller
    Werks radiator
    Spec stage II+ clutch & billet flywheel
    Magnaflow exhaust, high flow cat.
    Norm's fenders
    GXP spoiler
    Riken Raptor 255x45x18's

You are going to want and start with the three major things Air/fuel/spark
    Basically you are going to want to set up the injectors, and then alter you PE tables. Then you are going to want and disable the dynamic airflow, so you are tuning sourly based off of the MAF sensor. Then you are going to want to retard your spark tables to avoid any knock issues till you start fine tuning. There have only been a few people so far that have tuned boosted 2.4’s so there is not much info available.

did yuh actually contact westers ?

i don't know why he can't do yuh some good ? worth asking ! ...?maybe yuh did ??
    anyways big hello atcha sweetie !!....glad to see yuh here finally !!.........

just curious what/ which turbo
    and size injectors are in the hahn 3 setup ?........

i think i have a file for aj's 60 lb injectors......but far as i know he wasn't happy with the results...... might be a starting point tho ?.... i'm not sure and will look see ? ...just occurred i'm not sure if its 2 bar or not....... ....

my desk top is headed for the shop - i may be slow answering good luck sugar bump.........
    pam
    2.4 ecotech ( 2006 pontiac solstice )
    42lb injectors
    trim 50 garrett t3t4 (custom -barebones pumpking )
    boost @ aprox 7 <10
    38mm tial wastegate and bov
    3" tubes front to back
    werks radiator
    bell intercooler
    GXP,magna flo exhaust-with integrated dumptube by B_FASTER & R&D
    aem wideband
    custom manifold -by sh**er the skunk
    (((HP ))) tuning - in progress
    jet hot 2000
    aerospace logic egt kit

Potential Tuner
    Hi Pam - hope ur runnin well!

Hahn uses the stock MAF and I believe the injectors are 42 lb.

It would be nice to read a tune from an un-locked ECM on a boosted 2.4 that uses the stock maf.

Dave @ Werks used a 2 bar map with his Garrett kits, so I don't know if reading one of his tunes would be a good starting point.
    '06 Solstice #781 of the 1st 1,000
    Hahn stage III turbo
    GReddy BOV & boost controller
    Werks radiator
    Spec stage II+ clutch & billet flywheel
    Magnaflow exhaust, high flow cat.
    Norm's fenders
    GXP spoiler
    Riken Raptor 255x45x18's

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by REDFOCZ
    You are going to want and start with the three major things Air/fuel/spark
    Basically you are going to want to set up the injectors, and then alter you PE tables. Then you are going to want and disable the dynamic airflow, so you are tuning sourly based off of the MAF sensor. Then you are going to want to retard your spark tables to avoid any knock issues till you start fine tuning. There have only been a few people so far that have tuned boosted 2.4’s so there is not much info available.
    How does the dynamic air flow modify table the maf based airflow data. I thought it was there to provide a basis for comparison, a check on the maf sensor. When I run a histogram of the maf versus the calculated air flow I thought they were independent of one another.

Here is a quote talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Witt View Post
    but if you are tuning MAF, under the dynamic airflow tab you'll want to change the setting that says something along the lines of "Trusted MAF airflow" to an rpm less than your idle. This way the PCM never references the VE in the dynamic airflow calculation.

If its using a VE/MAF blend, then any errors in your VE will carry over into your MAF tune. For example, your VE is 10% lean at "X" amount of airflow, however your MAF value "Y" is accurate at that same point. Now your trim may say you are lean by 5% so you now have leaned out your MAF "Y" by 5% from a previously accurate value ([X+Y]/2=dynamic or the fueling value). Although there isn't currently a way to fix the VE portion, its no reason to fudge it with the MAF because those same two values may not match up again if the temperature or weather changes (ie. "X" may now match up with "Y+10" when the air is colder and more dense).

Oversimplified for forum sake.

Potential Tuner

I Got Your Tune!

I have just the tune your looking for. It was done on a Hahn Solstice with high flow cat and GM Performance exhaust.... it was done because Hahn does not tell its 91 octane customers that their 91 tune is crap and runs lean.

I have not verified if tune is good since I am not running it yet, I will load it onto a new ECM just waiting for it to arrive. The guy who had this tune done is very happy with the tune and I was planing on running it on my Hahn Sky because I have the same lean problem with Hahn's 91 tune and I don't like the fact that Hahn locks its tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by carlintexas
    Hi Pam - hope ur runnin well!

Hahn uses the stock MAF and I believe the injectors are 42 lb.

It would be nice to read a tune from an un-locked ECM on a boosted 2.4 that uses the stock maf.

Dave @ Werks used a 2 bar map with his Garrett kits, so I don't know if reading one of his tunes would be a good starting point.
    Last edited by HotRedRoadster; 01-21-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlintexas
    I found this post and have a question -

>SNIP<
    * Wester's Garage sells HPTuner and a tune - but not for what I have.
    I do not believe you've asked us directly, as this isn't true. Whatever vehicle HPT supports, we've got something to get you going.