Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To's & General Tuning information

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    As always we freely welcome any Ford tuning information anyone would like to share to help others along the way. Feel free to post it in this thread to be added, create a new post or pm a moderator to have it added to this sticky.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Hi Bill,
    It seems like not many people have the knowledge of tuning the Ford vihcls due to the fact that is a new car, and it is completely deferent than the GM Cars. So we would like from HP Tuner team to elaborate on how to do basic timing, and fuel tuning for the Ford Mustang 3V.

Regards,
    Husam.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by MC PERFORMANCE
    Hi Bill,
    It seems like not many people have the knowledge of tuning the Ford vihcls due to the fact that is a new car, and it is completely deferent than the GM Cars. So we would like from HP Tuner team to elaborate on how to do basic timing, and fuel tuning for the Ford Mustang 3V.

Regards,
    Husam.
    Won't happen. We create a tool that will allow you to alter the parameters in the pc, we try not to get involved in the "this is what afr this engine should like" or "this is how much timing to add" as this then becomes a liability issue put upon us. Tuning has always & will always necessitate the need for R&D on how to tune & with several tuning classes offered theres always someplace to learn how to tune.

-Bill

Potential Tuner
    Bill,
    I think you got me wrong here. I meant explaining how to use your software to tune the Ford. For Example, I would like to know what to play with to control WOT timing. It took me a while to figure out the fuel control but can't find which map in the software controls the WOT Timing. I hope you understand what i am trying to say now. I read the help file on the software and it was helpful but not very.

Husam.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    the borderline knock table is the main spark table from my understanding.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MC PERFORMANCE
    Bill,
    I think you got me wrong here. I meant explaining how to use your software to tune the Ford. For Example, I would like to know what to play with to control WOT timing. It took me a while to figure out the fuel control but can't find which map in the software controls the WOT Timing. I hope you understand what i am trying to say now. I read the help file on the software and it was helpful but not very.

Husam.
    Husam,

The Ford 150s have quite a number of parameters available for tuning. While I am new to the HP Tuners, I have been using SCT's Pro Racer software for 2 years now. A quick comparison shows the parameters available are nearly identical between the tuning software offerings. I doubt seriously anyone is going to provide you with a full explanation of the 100 or so parameters available for tuning these trucks.

Yes the Borderline Knock is a place to start; however, we have quite a number of factors contributing to the final spark advance in these trucks. You simply need to do the R&D Bill spoke of. The most efficient way I found was to start by data logging. Then, compare the results to the stock settings. Look at settings from the IMRC Spark table, the Variable CAM table, the borderline knock table, and of course, MBT spark. Other tables contribute as well. I have heard of some tuners turning off spark adders in all of the contributing tables and relying on only the Borderline Knock and the MBT Spark table. I have never done this as I have been tuning specifically for alcohol across the full range of the engine. It is not too difficult to do the math and determine which tables are contributing. Do be careful when advancing spark. These trucks also have parameters for detecting knock and will retard spark when the knock exceeds the sensor parameters. That is, of course, if you are tuning for gasoline. If you are tuning for Ethanol, you won't have to worry about knock. You still have to get this right; though, as it makes no sense to advance spark beyond that necessary to achieve maximum performance.

Hope this helps.

Tuner
    The best tip I have recieved...

Disable the P0605, P0606 and P1000 Codes.
    2007 Mustang GT
    266rwhp 276rwftlb's. 13.6@104 stock.
    Adding a bunch of goodies and shooting for mid 12's.

Here's a really nice write up to get your head around Ford tuning... it is based of SCT's software but reading over it, its very similar to the HPTs software as well...

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=10724

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

I am new to using HPTuners, have used it to tune a supercharged H3 and a LS2 with a blower in a pickup and was very happy but I have looked at 2 dfferent fords and the edditor looks like it will work good but I was unable to view a lot of pids that are available with my other tuning software and are needed IE fuel pump duty cycle and injector pulse width, there were a lot more but those 2 come to mind. Did I do something wrong or are there not many pids that work yet ?

Garry

Wasn't clear that the problem is viewing pids with the scanner, it doesnt support a lot of the pids that I can view with my other tuning software. Am I doing something wrong or can we get more ??
    Last edited by Lundstedt Automotive; 03-21-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazin'
    Here's a really nice write up to get your head around Ford tuning... it is based of SCT's software but reading over it, its very similar to the HPTs software as well...

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=10724

Nice Find!!!!!!
    I've been looking for a doorway to the "Darkside"

Tuner
    Very nice!!!!
    Thank you.

Senior Tuner
    Bill, if you could throw this in your 1st post above:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20810
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Bill, if you could throw this in your 1st post above:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20810
    done

Quote Originally Posted by zq8bob View Post
    The best tip I have recieved...

Disable the P0605, P0606 and P1000 Codes.
    Can you explain the reasoning behind disabling these?

sweet we got Maf Volts in the scanner now time for some Lambda error histrograms soon.. just wish the frame rate would increase a little and i'd say the ford scanner is complete!

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

looking for help to set up the fuel side of things for id 1000 injectors
    any help please

When you say alcohol are you referring to E85? Only because I have been looking for software to tune my 2008 5.4 King Ranch with E85. It burns very clean (no black exhaust tips).

Quote Originally Posted by AWEBB View Post
    When you say alcohol are you referring to E85? Only because I have been looking for software to tune my 2008 5.4 King Ranch with E85. It burns very clean (no black exhaust tips).
    Yes
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC