Thread: Strange DTC code, please explain?

Strange DTC code, please explain?

I was driving yesterday and for the first time I barely bounced the motor off of the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift, for a split second. Nothing harmed, car ran great the rest of the day until I jumped back in it to run an errand up the street, check engine light came on.

I checked for codes with HPtuner and got a P1415 which read as,,,,,,
    Secondary air injection (AIR) System bank 1 (SES)(old)(History)(Current)(Immature)

Not sure what (if anything) this had to do with touching the rev limiter and I cannot for the life of me figure out why it says old, history, current, and immature all in the same sentence

So what is it,,,,,old? Current? History? Immature?

I cleared the code this morning and had it running in the garage. It has not returned yet. Going for a drive to run a couple errands and see what happens.
    Any idea what would cause this or why? And what is with the long sentence for the description that seems to contradict itself?
    Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like only one sensor responded at the time.

DTC P1415 or P1416
    Circuit Description
    A secondary air injection (AIR) pump is used on this vehicle to lower tail pipe emissions on start-up. The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies a ground to the AIR pump relay, which energizes the AIR pump and the AIR solenoid valve. Engine vacuum is applied to the AIR shut-off valve when the AIR solenoid is energized. The engine vacuum opens the AIR shut-off valve which allows air to flow to the exhaust manifolds.
    The PCM monitors the heated oxygen sensor (H02S) voltages to diagnose the AIR system.
    During the AIR test, the PCM activates the AIR pump during Closed Loop operation. When the AIR system is activated, the PCM monitors the H02S voltages and short term fuel trim values for both banks of the engine. If the AIR system is operating properly, the H02S voltages should go low and the short term fuel trim should go high.
    If the PCM determines that the H02S voltages for both banks did not respond as expected during the tests, the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0410 sets. If only one sensor responded, the PCM sets either a DTC P1415 or P1416 to indicate on which bank the AIR system is inoperative.
    97 GMC ext cab, 2002 LS6, MTI G1 cam 228/232-588/575-113, MTI hardened pushrods, Patriot 243 heads, 3200 stall, 85mm Mass air, S&P Type III Headers, 2 1/2" Magnaflow High flow cats, Flowmasters, HPTuners, 4:10 gears, Original Boyds wheels 17X9's front 17X11's rear, East coast customs WS6 ram air hood, 150 shot NOS LS1 set up, 4/5Beltech drop, Caltracs.

Thanks for the write up. It will help me to diagnose this further. In the meantime I removed the code, drove about 60 miles tonight, it hasn't come back Must be an intermittent thing. Guess it was just coincidence that the SES light came on shortly after I bumped the limiter.
    Thanks for the insight. Larry.

If you DON'T have an air pump that code shouldn't be enabled.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Yes I have the AIR pump and system still in place and functioning. Although headers are in my future so I may look into trying to disable it at that time.

Senior Tuner
    If you have messed up the checkvalve (as an exhaust backfire
    might) it can give you AIR codes. It might just have stuck once
    and gotten better (enough). Headers (with emissions fittings)
    can pulse hard enough to mess with the valve and sometimes
    need an orifice plate where the gasket goes.

If it doesn't come back, fuggedaboudit.

Thanks guys. So far nothing so I am not concerned too much. If it starts popping up more often I may install some headers sooner than later and just eliminate the system all together.