Thread: HP Tuners with Windows Vista??

Tuner

HP Tuners with Windows Vista??

Hi, I'm looking to pick up a new lap top...but everything now has Windows Vista installed instead of Windows XP. I've heard some other tuning software isn't working as well with the Vista....Just curious if HP Tuners will work with it???

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've heard of a few minor issues like missing dll files upon install and permissions issues but for the most part it should work just fine.

I purchased a new pc with vista about 6 months ago & found that it simply did not work with some programs I need on a daily basis so ended up going back to xp, but hptuners worked fine on it for the time I had vista installed.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

no problems at all for me i have had it on 2 laptops with Vista as well.
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb
    1/4 mile: 13.33 @ 105 mph

Tuner
    Works fine for me. I did have to create a file to store my tunes, configs and histograms in though. It kept saying that I didn't have rights to access "program files" from within HPT, even though I am admin and have all of the permission stuff turned off.
    2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny c
    Works fine for me. I did have to create a file to store my tunes, configs and histograms in though. It kept saying that I didn't have rights to access "program files" from within HPT, even though I am admin and have all of the permission stuff turned off.
    same here. i spent an hour on the phone with tech support over the whole admin access deal. we finally just stored the files in the my documents folder, so i could gain access.

you can go straight to the hptuners folder through the my computer route. you just can't get to it via the hptuners program without running into the admin access crap.

IMO... Vista is a flop, its a mac like windows with way to many permission requests..... I never tried VCM Suite on vista but everything else I tried just bombed.... You can still get equipment with XP just not from Best Buy or Ciruit City. Dell will sell you an XP anything, or just go to a local computer repair/sales shop and tell them what you want, they prob have them in stock with XP. Goodluck!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauss
    IMO... Vista is a flop, its a mac like windows with way to many permission requests..... I never tried VCM Suite on vista but everything else I tried just bombed.... You can still get equipment with XP just not from Best Buy or Ciruit City. Dell will sell you an XP anything, or just go to a local computer repair/sales shop and tell them what you want, they prob have them in stock with XP. Goodluck!

yea, I was looking all around for a laptop with XP....On the dell website they have everything saying it comes with Vista. I suppose if I call them and ask they can put XP on it for me. Thanks

If you turn off the "user account control" in the control panel, the annoying, intrusive vista permission requests disappear. (but I keep the firewalls, virus protection active...)

I've had a few hiccups with HPT, but none of them related to vista.
    2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Advanced Tuner
    UAC is perfectly fine, as long as programs are designed to behave correctly.

VCM Suite seems to do this fine. Mind you, it does not play perfectly with the default file permissions under "Program Files".

I would hardly call Vista a "mac like windows". What, because of the cute little interface changes?

bilemke wrote:
    I would hardly call Vista a "mac like windows". What, because of the cute little interface changes?
    You might not call it that, but I did. The graphical/interface changes are actually attractive. I just added my two cents because I purchased a few different desktops with Vista to run a couple different survelliance packages and none of them worked. I had support from the manufacturers, microsoft, and a serveral gurus of the trade and still Vista crapped out for me. So until it is the "only" microsoft o/s available I will stick with what works for me....XP. A large portion of the "field" industry buying portables every day are still insisting on XP.
    Think of it this way.... if the first time you buy a hybrid automobile and you have several problems then you will probally stick with the 1985 Caprice Classic for a while longer.
    Is this a sales defense for Vista or a thread about VCM Suite on a Vista O/S??
    I guess my major complaint is not with Vista and more with the marketing tactics of Microsoft. Such as convincing the major stores chains to pull all non-Vista machines on a specific date and sell only machines with Vista. On top of that, the store chains bought into it and trained their sales staff on Vista marketing, gave them all little stickers to put on their shirts that say "Got Vista", "Vista Trained Technician".... The first question out of my mouth was is it backwards compatible?? I got all sorts of responses from "Absolutely", "100%", "For the most part", "If not, just use compatibility mode".... well guess what, it is none of those.