Thread: Garage shifts?

Tuner

Garage shifts?

What is "garage shift"? It's under the TM tab for my '07 Sierra Denali with a 6L80E.

I attached a screen shot. I have tried the search button and help with in HPT with no luck. I currently have it enabled since I have no idea what it does. Thanks guys!
    2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4

Tuner
    Ttt

Senior Tuner
    Only guessing but maybe this is like "valet mode"?

Garage Shifts (as explained by popular mechanics)
    The Park or Neutral to Drive shift is called the "garage shift"

From a web search, it appears that controls have been created to reduce the harshness of the garage shift, one description I found is:

"An improved powertrain control minimizes output torque disturbances due to garage shifting. Under certain predefined conditions, garage shifts to the forward or Drive range are carried out by initially commanding a shift to an upper forward gear ratio having a relatively low torque advantage, and then commanding a shift from the upper forward gear ratio to a lower forward ratio that is ordinarily used to launch the vehicle. The shift from the upper gear ratio to the lower gear ratio is initiated when the initial shift is substantially complete or when a predetermined period of time has elapsed since shift initiation. Engine management controls are also used to reduce the transmission input torque during garage shifts to both forward and reverse ranges."

My guess is that when enabled, the garage shift control shifts from park to 4th and then to first gear to reduce the harshness that may be felt under high idle conditions.

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredGXP
    Garage Shifts (as explained by popular mechanics)
    The Park or Neutral to Drive shift is called the "garage shift"

From a web search, it appears that controls have been created to reduce the harshness of the garage shift, one description I found is:

"An improved powertrain control minimizes output torque disturbances due to garage shifting. Under certain predefined conditions, garage shifts to the forward or Drive range are carried out by initially commanding a shift to an upper forward gear ratio having a relatively low torque advantage, and then commanding a shift from the upper forward gear ratio to a lower forward ratio that is ordinarily used to launch the vehicle. The shift from the upper gear ratio to the lower gear ratio is initiated when the initial shift is substantially complete or when a predetermined period of time has elapsed since shift initiation. Engine management controls are also used to reduce the transmission input torque during garage shifts to both forward and reverse ranges."

My guess is that when enabled, the garage shift control shifts from park to 4th and then to first gear to reduce the harshness that may be felt under high idle conditions.

Thanks! I guess I could have used google