Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission

Tuner in Training

Transmission

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra w/ 5.3l 4wd. I've looked in my book, looked at the drivers door and the original sticker and can't find out what transmission I have. Anyone have any suggestions or know what comes with the truck?

Also my shifts seems pretty jerky. I recently turned off TM and adjusted the tire size because it was smaller than what I have on it. What would I need to do to adjust the pressure so it's not so jerky. Just cruising around and not getting on it makes this problem.

New to this so any help would be great. Thanks so much
    2000 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 Z71 5.3L
    K&N CAI, MAF DeScreen, P/P TB, NGK plugs, Taylor 409 wires, 160 Thermostat, Gibson Chrome headers, CAT back 3" Flomaster, 4.10 Gears, 4l60E, 91 Octane

Tuner in Training
    Unless it's a 2500, you've got a 4L60E. And unless you've had it built, you need to turn the TM back on now! It won't last long at all without it.

I'll let somebody else (Russ?) talk about changing the pressure tables.
    Jerry

'02 Sierra Z71 5.3 w/100K miles - HPTuners, PLX Wideband, LS1 efans, 145A Alt, 'Vette servo, Poor man's 1/2 drop - Just starting to scratch that itch...

Tuner in Training
    I'm sorry. It is a Stock tranny and a 1500.
    so turning it off is a bad thing? I've been reading that it says that is what everyone was doing. Let me know
    thanks for the help so far
    K&N CAI, MAF DeScreen, P/P TB, NGK plugs, Taylor 409 wires, 160 Thermostat, Gibson Chrome headers, CAT back 3" Flomaster, 4.10 Gears, 4l60E, 91 Octane

Tuner in Training
    All these views and no one can help me figure out what I have or tell me where to look?

Tuner
    i cant check your tune or the log from here..... are you getting any DTCs? the pcm will set the line pressure to max under certain conditions. have you done any other tuning? try disabling the codes in the trans diag tab

The 5.3 engine uses a 4L60E trans. The first thing to do is replace the stock servo with one from a Corvette. Then adjust the shift pressure tables for a firmer part throttle shift & a nice solid WOT 1-2 & 2-3 upshift. With the Corvette servo, you can zero the trans upshift torque reduction tables.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Thanks so much for letting me know what trans I got. Glad someone let me know.
    Little new to this. What is the servo you speak of? I dont understand that.
    Under Edit - Trans - General Pressure tab isn't available. Is that where I need to adjust the pressure for the wot 1-2 and 2-3?
    Do I need to go to a 1 Bar MAF upgrade or what do I need to do to get that available?
    Thanks for the help so far

As for Jknox's post... Should I turn on TM back on?

Advanced Tuner
    Here is info on the corvette servo, it is a cheap and easy transmission upgrade.
    http://s-series.org/component/option...m,6/task,item/

As far as the tables they are all there in the tranny section for your stock OS.

And for TM I would turn most of it back on if I were you. At least until you get the tranny upgraded.

Did you re-scale the shift points after the tire size adjustment???
    Last edited by truckmann; 08-15-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Important tip: make sure that the ends of the snap ring are between the 10 & 12 o'clock position. You must make sure that the ends of the snap ring are facing away from the access notches in the
    trans case. The snap ring groove is weak were the notches are.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    that's awesome guys. Appreciate the help greatly. Have to look into buying one of those. Have my mechanic friend help me install it. He has a lift so it should make it easy.
    I did not rescale the shift points after the tire size change. Should i look at what they were set to before and go off that? because I think the guy before changed them from stock.
    I'll turn the Tm back on and turn it down a little bit so it wont be so bad. hopefully it will help til I order the servo.
    Thanks again guys

What size tires were stock? What size are on the truck now?

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    they are same size as stock. but when i looked at size that it read it was smaller than whats on it. so i updated the computer

Then return the tire size tables back to stock. The calculated tire dia is always less than the measured/advertised dia.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    thanks. will do.
    Think it would be worth the extra money to go with the billet servo vs the corvette one? I looked at both and price isn't that much more just wondering how much better it would be.
    Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by bigmur
    thanks. will do.
    Think it would be worth the extra money to go with the billet servo vs the corvette one? I looked at both and price isn't that much more just wondering how much better it would be.
    Thanks Again
    I was wondering the same thing as I was thinking about doing the "wake up kit" as it also replaces the overdrive servo for improved 3-4 shift. Any tips here Russ? Also what all has to be changed in the tune when we upgrade to the new servo's.

Russ how much can the 4L60E handle, horsepower wise? Can it be built to take some punishment?
    2001 Camaro SS Black, Fikse Profil 5 wheels,
    Kooks LT headers, Kooks ORY, Magnaflow Catback, Prothane motor mounts, SLP Lid, Ported stock TB & 160tstat.

The 4L60E trans in a basically stock F-Body can be tuned to shift firm at wot. No need for the Corvette servo, as the boost valve is larger than the truck trans. The Corvette servo just firms the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. You can use the billet 4th servo with the Corvette servo for firmer 3-4 shifts.

The 4L60E trans with after market clutches & band, and the .500 boost valve plus the servos, high capacity sprags, and other supporting mods, can easily handle 450 ft lbs of torque.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by bigmur
    thanks. will do.
    Thanks Again
    The Corvette servo will make a huge improvement for the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts on your truck. Done the same for my customer's trucks, including a 2007 Vortec Max with the 4L70E trans. I was then able to zero the upshift torque reduction.

Russ Kemp

Russ is that all we have to change is the upshift torque reduction with these servo's, even if we go with the billet servo?
    2001 Camaro SS Black, Fikse Profil 5 wheels,
    Kooks LT headers, Kooks ORY, Magnaflow Catback, Prothane motor mounts, SLP Lid, Ported stock TB & 160tstat.

You will need to adjust the base shift pressure table to get the shift firmness right.

Russ Kemp