Thread: turbo vane position

Tuner in Training

turbo vane position

Has anyone tried to or know how to turn the vanes off or to open at idle to make the truck rumble more at idle.

pardon my ignorance... what type of vehicle do you have? do you have a "variable pitch" turbo? wow where the hell have i been....? or are you referring to that exhaus bypass thingy the vettes have?

Tuner in Training
    sorry bout that yes it a variable vane turbo on a 2005 duramax

How is the tuning going?
    2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 LT1 (with extras), Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto drain valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, Victory Red.
    33'-0" Dutchman fifthwheel,Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

Banks Sixgun with HPTUNERS.

Tuner in Training
    havent really messed with any more just bought a ls1 camaro and have been playing with it. I just heard a straight piped lb7 the other day and got to thinking if i openend my turbo up at idle it would have a good rumble. also i know it can be done cause theres a tune in the repository on diesel place where a guy with efi did it. anyways when i figure it out ill try and post it

Thanks man. I would appreciate it. I need to figure what set of gauges to get first. I can not wait till they get the allison tap reset going to.
    2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 LT1 (with extras), Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto drain valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, Victory Red.

Log your turbo vane position at idel - then open it up from there.

Tuner in Training
    Ok finally figuired out how to log the turbo vane position then whatched it till it did its little rumble after the engine temp was up. and when it did the vane position dropped to 0% for a few seconds where as when it is at normal idle its about 89% which is when it has the hair dryer sound. i have a 4" turbo back with no muffler and no cat. heres the unsmoothed file it has a good little rumble now.

Glad to hear you got it figured out. How are you liking the hp tuning for the diesel?

Tuner in Training
    im starting to enjoy it more everytime i get to mess with it im learning a little every day. having to go back and add some turbo vane position % because it is throwing a code but oh well it was worth a try and i learned a lot about changing the gauges in the scanner to be more diesel friendly. Now I am setting out to lean how to check injector balance rates

Checking the balance rates is really what I want the scanner for. That is a nice feature.
    Last edited by CRASHNBURN; 12-17-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by atver300
    Ok finally figuired out how to log the turbo vane position then whatched it till it did its little rumble after the engine temp was up. and when it did the vane position dropped to 0% for a few seconds where as when it is at normal idle its about 89% which is when it has the hair dryer sound. i have a 4" turbo back with no muffler and no cat. heres the unsmoothed file it has a good little rumble now.
    In the Desired boost table 100 KPA is 0 boost no need to put 0's in there.

Tuner
    Yea

the conversion calculator comes in handy for that.

Potential Tuner
    if you are aiming just at sound of the vehicle what you are working on is fine......if you are aiming at performace you may have things backwards.

Fully closed vanes build boost quicker and higher than open vanes. For optimum performance and higher boost levels the vanes should be more closed, not more open at idle.

good luck

Tuner in Training
    Hey, atver300, what codes exactly were you throwing? I'm interested in having more rumble also. As soon as I can get the scanner working properly I'd like to start some editing. Thanks for posting the file.

Quote Originally Posted by atver300
    ... then whatched it till it did its little rumble after the engine temp was up. and when it did the vane position dropped to 0% for a few seconds where as when it is at normal idle its about 89% which is when it has the hair dryer sound.
    I've been wondering what this change in tone is caused by. What changes when the truck goes from hair dryer sound to rumble, and why?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Backside180
    I've been wondering what this change in tone is caused by. What changes when the truck goes from hair dryer sound to rumble, and why?
    The vanes go to the most restrictive position to help with warm up and give you boost to burn the fuel when cold.

Tuner in Training
    it throws an overboost code when you try to make it sound like that all the time