Thread: Getting started with tuning

Tuner in Training

Question Getting started with tuning

I have read a lot and seem to have found a good thread that tells me where to start and get going. Here it is.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3833
    I talked to one guy and asked about doing a 1 bar MAF - Enhanced upgrade. He said that would help in tuning but I was unsure. Would this help on getitng started and getting more accurate results?
    I do not have a Wideband.
    Any suggestions?
    2000 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 Z71 5.3L
    K&N CAI, MAF DeScreen, P/P TB, NGK plugs, Taylor 409 wires, 160 Thermostat, Gibson Chrome headers, CAT back 3" Flomaster, 4.10 Gears, 4l60E, 91 Octane

If you use your OEM operating system and tune the VE table first, you will run on the Lo Octane spark table and the 2nd VE table. It's not too hard to tune that way, just paste into the primary VE, then copy the correct VE table lines into the 2nd VE table.
    Eg. 20,40,60,80,100 from primary copied into the 2nd VE.

Then just copy the HO spark to the LO spark and tune away. Just make sure that the HO & LO are the same until you finish with the VE tables.

Then re-enable MAF and repeat the process with the MAF side.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    ok. so i've done like 5-6 if not more runs for VE and still there is more to do.
    with an exhaust leak that could be a problem huh? or will that matter a whole lot. I think I have a warped flange on left side. All the number in the 2-2.6 keep changing. everything above fixed couple times and they aren't moving now. Getting some KR and I adjust that but it doesn't seem to fix my problem. Should I be putting in HO & LO table or one or other?
    Didn't know if I should post a log or anything b/c I have a few for this.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks
    K&N CAI, MAF DeScreen, P/P TB, NGK plugs, Taylor 409 wires, 160 Thermostat, Gibson Chrome headers, CAT back 3" Flomaster, 4.10 Gears, 4l60E, 91 Octane

Tuner in Training
    Another quick Q. Should I upgrade my OS system too? Would that help make things go faster and smoother? I've got the credits so it wouldn't be a big deal.
    Also. Could you explain the differences or post a thread of what each on does? I done some looking but not fully understanding.
    Thanks.