Thread: College degree?

Tuner in Training

College degree?

I want to get into tuning, mainly just for my car right now and help tune my friends cars. Once I can afford it I am going to get HP Tuners. I have been thinking about trying to get a college degree too and was just curious. What kind of degree plan should I get into that would help me learn the most to become a tuner? Maybe down the line I will try tuning for others on the side.

Reading this forum is a great start. Taking a class from EFICalibrator is another good idea. Tuning your own car on a day to day basis is a great start too.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    I thought it would be a good start. I want to go to the course. Just need some money. My main question though. Are there any degree plans that would help me to learn better? Such as some type of Engineering degree.

Fundamentals are essential so an automotive background is the most important.

With the way it seems to be going with all this coefficient stuff to describe multiple variables within a certain system, make sure you keep your math skills sharp.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

At the OEM level. Math at the PhD level seems like it would be a Must Have education...

Senior Tuner
    math, physics, computer science/engineering, chem, and of course mechanical engineering.

check this out to see just how far does the rabbit hole goes:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710290

Since I work as an OEM calibrator....

Almost any OEM company will require an engineering degree (Mechanical or Electrical usually) to qualify you for a position as an engine or powertrain calibrator. The degree is more a formalityin this case, as it doesn't completely prepare you for this particular line of work. Plan on taking every opportunity to learn what you can about engine theory and control systems (PID loops, etc...) and you'll be headed in the right direction. Some experience on your own will certainly help.

If you just want to become an aftermarket tuner, there's no hard requirement. It certainly helps to get good training from whatever source you trust. The best in this industry are the guys who are continuously learning.

Tuner in Training
    Well, I got alot of learning to do. Time to get started. Thanks guys.

Senior Tuner
    I would say my mechanical engineering degree prepared me well for this line of work. Mechanicals get one of the most well rounded curriculums.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Zosickness View Post
    I want to get into tuning, mainly just for my car right now and help tune my friends cars. Once I can afford it I am going to get HP Tuners. I have been thinking about trying to get a college degree too and was just curious. What kind of degree plan should I get into that would help me learn the most to become a tuner? Maybe down the line I will try tuning for others on the side.
    This is too expensive way to get your car tuned the way you want taking into account how much you'll need to pay for a college degree. I am standing for self-education in such situations.

Tuner in Training
    School of Automotive Machinists and Technology

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    13 year old thread guys
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"