Thread: new cable/license=no start

Tuner in Training

new cable/license=no start

I just received my new cable and software.

The car was previously tuned by me using a different cable.

Now I can not start the car.

It sounds like the fuel pump is not kicking on/priming.

I tried a write-entire, but no luck.

Also tried a vats re-learn per the help instructions but that did not work either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

Tuner in Training
    OK, got ahold of the previous cable that is licensed to my car, and tried to use it, but I get an error message stating that serial no. is incorrect, and it won't let me read the ecu.

The old cable does show my vin in the info screen.

The car still won't start, it turns over, but the fuel pump won't kick on.

I know someone here can help, but if I have to I'll contact customer support.

I tried a bunch of write-entires, but no luck.

I'd really appreciate some assistance.

It can't be this difficult!!

Tuner in Training
    Well,
    I may have been wrong about the issue.
    If I go into vcm controls, I can get the fuel pump to turn on, which is the sound I hear from under the car( I thought it may have been my oil scavenge pump for the turbos that I was hearing).

So it appears that I have an ignition problem.

EDIT: I checked ignition volts with the scanner, and I have voltage/advance during cranking speeds.

The car started fine before I installed the new cable, so I still think the problem is with the software install.

It seems very coincidental.
    Last edited by vrybad; 08-25-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Tuner in Training
    So far, I checked everything I can.
    I have spark, it appears I have fuel.

The only other question is whether I should see oil pressure on the scanner when cranking.
    The table shows a very slight jump in pressure when at cranking rpm.

I spoke to a local tuner and he stated there is a possibility the ecu may have fried when I did the HP install.
    He said he has seen a couple of instances of this with the ls based ecu's.

It sure would be nice to hear from one of the HP techs here in regard to this problem!
    I'm really stuck here.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrybad
    I just received my new cable and software.

The car was previously tuned by me using a different cable.

Now I can not start the car.

It sounds like the fuel pump is not kicking on/priming.

I tried a write-entire, but no luck.

Also tried a vats re-learn per the help instructions but that did not work either.
    What your saying really doesn't make much sense.

You said you got your new cable & software & the vehicle was previously tuned by you using a different cable and now you cannot start the car. You didn't say you tried to flash the pcm with your new cable, or even connect to the vehicle. By leaving out this very relevant information you make it almost impossible to diagnose the problem or even give you an answer.

Then you go on to say you tried a write entire but why? The help files specifically say the only time you should do a write entire is when changing operating systems. Did you change operating systems?

Do you have any DTC's?

A little more info would go a long way...
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    You're right Bill,
    I didn't include that info.
    Sorry, but when this all went down, I got a bit stressed thinking I may have fried something.
    I can do a pretty good tune, but overall computer literacy is something I struggle with a bit.
    I guess I know just enough about computers and software to be dangerous.

I did read and flash with the new cable, but then the car sat for a few days without starting, because I didn't need to drive it.
    I only noticed the problem shortly before my first post, after I tried to start it.

To make a long story short, I found that somehow, coincidentally, the fuel pump went stone dead during the time I used the new cable and when I tried to start it.
    I have a feeling the MSD BAP killed it, and it just flat failed.
    I had to buy a fuel pressure test gauge to diagnose it.
    It's difficult to diagnose noises under the car when you are working alone, hence the error in judgement about what the cause was.

I still haven't started the car, but the new FP should be in by the weekend, so hopefully there are no other issues.

Thanks for listening!!
    Brian