Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tuning LTFT's...

Excellent. Keep in mind that you still don't know exactly what you're getting at WOT. The way the PE works on your car is different than the V8's and it's not as intuative. You'll need to get a WB dyno done to tune the WOT AFR.

You didn't seem to have a lot of KR in the log you posted but to address your KR you just need to use histo 2. It plots the KR against the same table that the timing is plotted against. So just copy and paste special (subtract) the KR from the log into the high octane spark advance table and do some hand smoothing.

You may want to look at the torque management as well. Max out all the max torque tables and reduce or zero out the spark retard vs torque reduction table. DISCLAIMER - I'm not familiar with automatics and particularly whatever tranny is in yours and eliminating torque management may have adverse affects on your drivetrain. You'll probably want someone to help you with your auto shift properties but I have no clue on that.

Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    it didnt show any KR because i wasn't on it..ill get a full boost run so you can see the KR and we can go from there..

i have all my TM turned off
    99 GTP....Mods, yea i got a few

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1683
    i have all my TM turned off
    Doesn't look like it to me.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    yea the file i sent u was before i turned it off, i turned it off when i did the tune..

the new file ill post after i go scan will show it

Tuner in Training
    ok so can anyone help...ive been doin the copy, paste special by % yet my #'s are still way off, no matter what i do, when my maf is low (2250) im really really lean, but as soon as i give it gas, it goes to around -.7 to -1.5, what am i doing wrong, do i have to manualy tune the lower maf hz?

any input? i can do a new scan and include it if people want..

Senior Tuner
    Tuning is as much an art as it is a science. You will have to manually tweak some things once in a while to make everything nice.

Post up where you are now with your scan and tune...

Tuner in Training
    ok heres a quick 5 min run..

let me know what you think..

i dont understand the numbers in the box..some of the boxes go up and down the whole time..

Senior Tuner
    What do you mean by "#'s in the box....." Post a screen shot of what you are talkin' about. Your trims are not "that" bad. Run the scan above in your KR histo. Run it with the "+" tab on. That way you will see max KR in the histo screen. Copy that table and "paste special subtract" from your timing table in your "high oct" table. Then look at each map set, and smooth your curve to blend each change you made. After, run the car again and see where you are. For now I'd get that timing table in line then fine tune your fuel from there.

Tuner in Training
    when i run the histogram (maf vs ltft) the numbers jump around like crazy..

as far as KR, ill do a KR run tomorrow when i go WOT, i got tons of it, ill need helping tuning that real real soon before i blow something..

im just wondering how long i should drive if the numbers are always changing..

run my scan with the histo provided:

I think you're mousing over the chart or clicking "play scan" and looking at the data getting populated in the histo. Just open your log, right click on the histogram and click "Load all data". Then make sure you're viewing the average of all the data; "A" is selected instead of "+", "-", "L" or "C". Your STFTs and LTFTs look excellent. The STFTs will jump around all the time and that is normal.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    thanks for all the help!!

ill work on the KR tonight and tomorrow along with the fuel and re-post it so u guys can take a look. thanks again!!

KR looks...ok I guess. Use the #2 histo on average and just copy any paste it into the high octane table (subtract). Also, if you click on the "-" to see the miminum KR logged in each cell. You can see that there are cells where you never got less than 1-3 degrees of KR. These are mostly the same cells that show up on the average view.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    ok thanks..how come you use the subtract feature? what does it do..heres my newest scan for KR..i did a few runs

You subtract because the PCM is retarding timing by what is shown in the KR histo to tame detonation. So knock retard is represented as a positive number so you need to subtract that number from whatever your total timing is in your timing table in that cell.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    ok thanks..i was gonna go do some runs today buuuut i left my manual fan switch on and my car died...so i gotta wait for my roommmates to get home with the jumper box...

i did a scan last night and saw lots of 4's on the lower right side of the histo

Tuner in Training
    ok so when im using the copy feature, what should i use, the A or the + ??

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1683
    ok so when im using the copy feature, what should i use, the A or the + ??
    For getting rid of KR? Either A or +. It's kind of personal preference. If you want to stave off all traces of KR then use the + which will show you the max KR you logged for each cell. Then copy and paste special (subtract) these from the timing table.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    ok thanks! i got a ton more kr to kill

Tuner in Training
    just an update!

been workin on the huge KR problem ive had and im almost ready to drop another pulley size!! at WOT i was seeing 5-6* of knock and now im seeing small blips of it!!

im gonna do some more tunning later this week and see what i got left!!

any ideas what i should tune next to try to gain as much power as i can? timing? fuel? any ideas!

Get a wide band. You still have little to no idea about whats going on under WOT.
    Bill Winters