Thread: Security light flashing and won't turn over. VATS?

Potential Tuner

Security light flashing and won't turn over. VATS?

First post on here so bear with me lol

My roommate has a 1998 Camaro V6. We went out the other day to change the oil and rotate the tires, basic maintaining of his car yah know.

After we finished we got back in the car and went to crank it. Fuel pump primed all the dash lights came on...went to turn it over and nothing happened. The lights all stayed on and the security light was still flashing. Usually when you turn on the car it flashes then goes off, yea...doesn't stop.

Some info is that he does have an aftermarket radio, I know some cars have the code you have to enter in the radio and what not. Also, he did drain his battery while changing the oil so we had to take it to Advanced and charge it and put it back in.

Would deleting the VATS solve this problem. I have a good friend whom is an amazing tuner and is willing to help us out, but we don't want to go in the wrong direction with this and spend more money then needed.

All help is greatly appreciated.

-Travis

I will try to check it out in person Friday, but from what you explained, it sounds odd. I have never come across that issue after draining the battery and doing typical things to the car.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Potential Tuner
    Something I just found out is that, after taking the battery out of the car to take to AutoZone. My roommate hooked jump cables from a friends car to the actual batter cables on the car to create enough power to roll up his window...

Any chance this could've popped something?
    1995 Firebird V6

3.4 V6 + T5
    ---> Built H/C LT1 + Stage 2 T56 = FALL 2007

Were all the wires hooked up? Are you sure they are all hooked up AND tight now?
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Potential Tuner
    Everything is now hooked back up and tight...went over things like 3, 4, 5 times...

Cleaned the chip in the key...nothing.

Disconnected battery, pulled PCM bat fuse. Put all back together after 5 or so minutes...nothing
    (this was a trick I was told by someone whom has been working on the cars for years and years)
    1995 Firebird V6

3.4 V6 + T5
    ---> Built H/C LT1 + Stage 2 T56 = FALL 2007

Have you tried the security relearn procedure?
    Regal GS Site Owner / HPT Moderator / FTV6 Mod

I am pretty sure we did, but explain just to be sure, please.

Senior Tuner
    If you guys need we have a unlimited V6 cable and we can try to take the vats off it for you. Its not as easy as a V8 and sometimes it doesn't work.

There are 2 vats systems in the car also... One that keeps it from cranking and the other keeping it from fireing. The one that keeps it from cranking is easy to bypass. its a relay just behind the radio up to the right.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

I already tried, we appreciate it though. Good info to know about that relay too.

He had to replace his ignition switch, all is well now (according to what he told me yesterday). That was one of the things we were thinking but figured that VATS would be a last attempt before he towed it out of the parking lot.