Thread: j-body help

Tuner in Training

j-body help

i have a 96 cavi. i want to put in a 97 or 98 ECU so i can tune it with hp tuners. i know that the engine is prity much the same just the intake and crank sensor are diffrent. what all do i need to do? can i just put in a new ECU and crank sensor?

Tuner in Training
    I believe all you have to do is repin the data port.

Advanced Tuner
    Assuming every wire on your harenass stayed in the same pin order should just plug in.. Although you'll def need to add the crank sensor, or you might have problems starting. Not sure if the PCM not seeing the intake sensor will affect anything, shouldn't if you remove timing from the IAT spark table. Good luck
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Turb0Z28
    i have a 96 cavi. i want to put in a 97 or 98 ECU so i can tune it with hp tuners. i know that the engine is prity much the same just the intake and crank sensor are diffrent. what all do i need to do? can i just put in a new ECU and crank sensor?
    huh?? Intake and crank sensor are not different. Biggest difference in a 96 and 97+ is the connections at the ECU. A 97+ ECU will not plug into a 96 wiring harness. You need to get a 97+ ECU and wiring harness and put on your car, or repin it for the 97+ ECU.

Advanced Tuner
    In that case easier just to hook up a new wire hareness lol
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

ya im running a 96 z24, with a 97 pcm and harness no prob. was simple as unplugging everything and plugging in the 97 pcm and harness, no cutting, splicing, no anything.