Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going from 402 to 416 and Bigger Cam !!!!!!

DH

Back in the mid 80's I had a Chrysler 2.2l turbo. - believe it or not the owner's manual actually recommended occasional full throttle runs to redline during the break-in period (kind of sounds like my average driving habits).

Other owner manuals just recommended avoiding prolonged steady state driving during the first 500 or so miles, with no guidance on maximum RPM. Sounds like there is a range of options.

I couldn't make myself avoid full throttle/redline runs when breaking in the GXP, 51,000 km later there is no significant oil use at 5-8,000 km oil change intervals, so it doesn't look like I hurt anything in this case.

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredGXP
    DH

Back in the mid 80's I had a Chrysler 2.2l turbo. - believe it or not the owner's manual actually recommended occasional full throttle runs to redline during the break-in period (kind of sounds like my average driving habits).

Other owner manuals just recommended avoiding prolonged steady state driving during the first 500 or so miles, with no guidance on maximum RPM. Sounds like there is a range of options.

I couldn't make myself avoid full throttle/redline runs when breaking in the GXP, 51,000 km later there is no significant oil use at 5-8,000 km oil change intervals, so it doesn't look like I hurt anything in this case.

Well I don't know about redline but varying the RPM is pretty universally recommended....Thanks!

DH

I imagine there are a gazillion opinions on how to break in a motor but varying the RPM & MAP (road racing??? ) sounds like the hot ticket for quick ring seating.

I think the opinion about new cars (driving the crap out of them) is probably valid because you generally can't hurt a stock car and it has a warranty if you do hurt it.

But something that is customized, like your new engine, needs to be watched closely until you are certain everything is OK. So some precaution is in order until you are comfortable.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    I imagine there are a gazillion opinions on how to break in a motor but varying the RPM & MAP (road racing??? ) sounds like the hot ticket for quick ring seating.

I think the opinion about new cars (driving the crap out of them) is probably valid because you generally can't hurt a stock car and it has a warranty if you do hurt it.

But something that is customized, like your new engine, needs to be watched closely until you are certain everything is OK. So some precaution is in order until you are comfortable.
    Doug

I've been checking with Scoggin Dicky, engine builders, Tony Mamo, LS1 Tech, etc.

So far seems like the consensus is not to drive it easy. Use high zinc content break in oil (Rotella or Valvoline Racing) for around 3 oil changes or a few thousand miles. Change oil after 30 minutes or 50 miles. Run at varing RPM street or loaded dyno hard up to WOT.

You guys must have recommended method ....................

DH