Thread: STFT stay negative??

Potential Tuner

STFT stay negative??

I'm attempting to tune my map in speed density mode. I believe it is running in sd, it didn't the first try and would not even run. I logged 5 or so runs and everytime from 3200 rpm's and down the stft's stay way negative. Everytime I keep taking away 20 percent on the table and resetting the trims but doesn't seem to help. I nearly zeroed the lower range out to see what would happen and still had negative trims. From 3200 and up they were on the positive side. I've added to them and got them to lower to a negative. I've included the last log. Can anyone see what's happening? I've unhooked the MAF but do I need to remove it from the charts?? Thanks

Attachment 8588

Attachment 8587
    2000 Trans Am-Mods: PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads, MS4 cam, LS7 lifters, LS6 Intake, Ported throttle body, LID, 44# injectors, LT headers, TSP off-road Y, LM cat-back, Powerforce Pulley

When you disable the MAF the PCM references the secondary VE table and low octane timing table. So you need to copy your high octane table to the low octane table and copy every other row from your primary VE to your secondary VE.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

However I don't believe you're acutally in SD mode. The MAF Fail High Frequency is set stock. You need to set this to 0 and set your P0103 DTC to MIL on first error. This will make the PCM think the MAF has failed and put you in SD mode. <EDIT: I see you have unplugged the MAF which should put you in SD but the above method is a better idea>
    Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 09-20-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    Bill Winters

Potential Tuner
    I've read of several different ways to force the car into SD. This was the second method I tried. I will try what you described which I believe I tried the first time. I will double check the high and low octane tables again as I thought I did that but who knows if it got saved. I know I never messed with the secondary ve table. If the computer goes for that table in SD why not just copy the whole main table to the secondary?? Why only every other line?? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Is the secondary table not as big as the main. I can't answer this as my program is not on this computer. Either way I have not messed with the secondary so I will give it a shot and I thank you for very good responses.
    2000 Trans Am-Mods: PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads, MS4 cam, LS7 lifters, LS6 Intake, Ported throttle body, LID, 44# injectors, LT headers, TSP off-road Y, LM cat-back, Powerforce Pulley

If you take a closer look at the secondary VE table, you'll notice that it only has half as many rows - usually the 20, 30, 40... kPa MAP rows from the primary VE table, that's why you copy over every other row. The primary VE table is 15, 20, 25... kPa Map on the vertical axis.

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Potential Tuner
    Yeah, I noticed shortly after I posted. I had to run and take a look at it. Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Just finished up on the VE table. It is looking pretty darn good. Here is the latest run. I did just a little more tweaking to it again so it should be spot on. I guess I will now attempt to tune the MAF if I can get the MAF HZ histogram to work. I believe I know why it won't show up. Another question though, When I push the clutch in the RPM's will shoot up and hang around 1600 until I go below 40. Then they drop to 1200 until I basically stop moving and a few seconds later they will drop to idle. I've played with the throttle cracker but do I need to just clear the table?? Or is there something else that I can adjust? I get some bucking and jerking but this could be due to the RPM's wanting to raise at certain speeds. Thanks
    Attachment 8604
    Attachment 8605

Tune your RAF.
    Bill Winters

Potential Tuner
    I did this over the weekend and it seems to of done the trick. I also tried to zero out the throttle cracker just to see what would happen and that gave a very negative effect. When I would push the clutch in the rpm's would drop around 500 or a little below. It did not stall but came close and my STFT's were all messed up again. Thanks