Thread: Vette Column Lock ?

Senior Tuner

Vette Column Lock ?

Does setting the Column Lock to Not Fitted acomplish the exact same thing that taking the car to the dealer for the recall/reflash accomplishes?

If set to Not Fitted, is it necessary to change the Fail Fuel Cut VSS parameter. When a dealer does the reflash, is this parameter changed?

Does it require a Write Entire or will a Write Cal Only do it?

Reason I ask is I have a customer that wants to be absolutely sure that me turning it off with HPT will be the same as the dealer reflash.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 10-03-2007 at 02:57 PM.

If you do *not* have a column lock bypass installed, don't disable the column lock in the tune. If the thing locks up while you are driving (possible) you can see the problem. The only time I will disable the Column Lock is if the individual has the column lock bypass that keeps it from ever locking.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    So there is more to the recall than a PCM flash then? I thought that's all it was.

If your car is affected by the column lock recall then you should follow GM's instructions for correcting the issue.

We put the column lock parameter in the editor so people who are doing racecar installs with vette LS1 PCM's can drive the car when the column lock system doesn't exist or is removed completely. ie. there is no danger of the column lock engaging while the vehicle is moving.
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    I read the sticky about the recall on the corvetteforum. Way more than just the PCM flash I thought it was.

just changed my 99 FRC to "not fitted" and the dash lights would not work and the brake light was on. changed it back to stock it works fine. just sharing some info.

2018 GMC Denali A8 6.2L
    2016 CTS-V
    2016 C7 Z06 A8
    2016 C7 Z06/Z07 A8 vert
    2015 Chevy SS 6.2 LS3 A6
    1996 Impala SS LT1 CAI
    1995 Chevy 1500 5.3 CAI Z06 cam
    1957 Chevy vert