Thread: Credit system and single year PCM

Tuner

Credit system and single year PCM

I'm a bit puzzled as to what I should purchase in view of the "Credit" system or if it will even be affordable. I am an auto enthusiast user and not a commercial shop. I am doing a swap of a 06 3800SC engine in a Fiero using a salvaged low miles engine and a boneyard 2003 GTP PCM. I can ony provide the VIN number for the Fiero that the swap is going into and not the Vin number of the cars where the components were taken from. I didn't have this issue with other software that we purchased when I did the older GM C3 series ECM but apparently it is an issue with HP Tuning Software for OBD II computers.
    Again I am a shade tree mechainc doing his own engine swaps on his own cars and not a business. I don't understand why you make it is so hard for an enthusiast to purchase a simple version of your editing software without these VIN number requirements etc. We can supply the PCM number but not much else. Can your non-commercial version of HP Tuners work for an application as I have. I would believe that I'm not the only engine swap guy with this problem.

You will license the PCM that you are going to use on the engine. The VIN should be in the donor PCM anyway.

All you will need to do is read the PCM that you are going to use for the project, modify as necessary. Enjoy!

HTH
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    Thanks for the info but how do you read the vin number in the PCM to buy a license for it without first having the edit program? I was wondering if HP offers a single year PCM license for a particular vehicle. This way if I need to program an extra PCM to have as a backup it won't be a problem. Again thier system doesn't seem to make it easy. The license system seems to be too slanted towards preventing theft but at the same time it puts so many impediments in place for the engine swap user.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We offer
    Single vcm licenses
    Year/model licenses as listed on our supported vehicle page
    Tunershop licenses.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"