Thread: Logging shows timing 2 degrees over High Octane Table

Logging shows timing 2 degrees over High Octane Table

I logged a 2000 3.8 with supercharger and the timing at WOT runs 2 degrees higher than the High Octane table. Can someone help me understand this?

You could check the PE/COT spark correction table, this may be adding timing.

There's also a chance that the ECT spark adder table added a few degrees if the engine wasn't at full operating temp.

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would assume its the afr adder table.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by TiredGXP
    You could check the PE/COT spark correction table, this may be adding timing.

There's also a chance that the ECT spark adder table added a few degrees if the engine wasn't at full operating temp.

It looks like it could be the AFR Correction table, however the dialog box in the editor says that is only used during lean cruise mode. I was seeing the added 2 degrees at WOT. So my next question is... what is lean cruise mode, and can it be happening at WOT?

I can't find a COT spark correction table for this car? Would it be under the spark control tab or somewhere else?

The engine coolant temp was at normal operating temp, so the ECT table was in the 0 range...

Sounds like we may just have some terminology differences. The AFR correction (gas) table has a description of PE/COT Spark Correction and is supposed to be active when the vehicle is in PE mode. Here's a screen shot of the description of table I was referring to.

Attachment 9042

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Sounds like we may just have some terminology differences. The AFR correction (gas) table has a description of PE/COT Spark Correction and is supposed to be active when the vehicle is in PE mode. Here's a screen shot of the description of table I was referring to.

The file I am looking at doesn't have near that many tables in the Spark Advance Tab.

The description about the lean cruise mode is for the table I have open in the picture attached... That's the only one I could see to be potentially adding timing.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its also used in other modes
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Backside180
    The file I am looking at doesn't have near that many tables in the Spark Advance Tab.

The description about the lean cruise mode is for the table I have open in the picture attached... That's the only one I could see to be potentially adding timing.
    Wierd description on your table. I notice that it does not add or subtract timing at stoich or leaner AFR - but does add timing where the AFR ratio is richer. While my table is laid out with both EQ ratio and RPM axis, they both accomplish the same thing - adding timing when the vehicle enters PE on the basis that a richer mixture burns slower and requires additional timing.

It makes sense that this is the table that is adding timing during your WOT runs. If you're logging Commanded AFR, you should be able to match up the extra timing to the additional timing shown in this table.

Wierd description on your table. I notice that it does not add or subtract timing at stoich or leaner AFR - but does add timing where the AFR ratio is richer. While my table is laid out with both EQ ratio and RPM axis, they both accomplish the same thing - adding timing when the vehicle enters PE on the basis that a richer mixture burns slower and requires additional timing.

It makes sense that this is the table that is adding timing during your WOT runs. If you're logging Commanded AFR, you should be able to match up the extra timing to the additional timing shown in this table.

Yeah, that table gave me fits with KR until it was opened up.
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by Backside180

He has a V8. We don't get all of those options.