Thread: Cylinder Volume Correction

Tuner in Training

Cylinder Volume Correction

I need to correct the cylinder volume in my tune as my motor has been bored a half mil over which I am told by the builders is the same as 20 over or I believe otherwise displayed as .020

In HPT they describe cylinder volume as:

Cylinder Volume: The volume (displacement) of one cylinder.

The size before the bore was a stock 0.49951 cylinder volume.

My question being what would the new cylinder volume be? I've tried some calculations but I don't want to get this wrong so I would appreciate some help. Thanks!

P.S. This is a 2006, 2.0 LSJ Supercharged.
    Last edited by jahorgos; 10-26-2007 at 06:15 AM.
    2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
    Performance Mods: |-| 2.5" Modular Pulley |-| Custom Tune |-| 60 lb/h fuel injectors |-| ZEX Plugs |-| Aeroforce Scan Gauge |-| AEM UEGO Wideband |-| CAI (K&N) |-| Ingalls Engine Torque Dampner |-| XTC Downpipe |-| Magnaflow 2.5" Cat Back |-| Hurst STS |-| Diamond Forged Pistons |-| Cometic Head Gasket |-| ARP Head Studs |-| Second Heat Exchanger |-| Raptor Shift Light |-| BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 235/40/18 Tires

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyHHR
    How do you calculate that number?
    Performance Mods: |-| 2.5" Modular Pulley |-| Custom Tune |-| 60 lb/h fuel injectors |-| ZEX Plugs |-| Aeroforce Scan Gauge |-| AEM UEGO Wideband |-| CAI (K&N) |-| Ingalls Engine Torque Dampner |-| XTC Downpipe |-| Magnaflow 2.5" Cat Back |-| Hurst STS |-| Diamond Forged Pistons |-| Cometic Head Gasket |-| ARP Head Studs |-| Second Heat Exchanger |-| Raptor Shift Light |-| BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 235/40/18 Tires

Just simple math....

PM'd ya, too.

For everyone else:

Cyl Vol = (bore dia./2) squared * Pi * stroke

Tuner
    so, if we were to calculate this....we would use the measurments in inches correct??? So for our stock motor with the engine bore of 3.39" (86mm) and a stroke of 3.78" (96 mm) the equation would look like...

cyl. vol. = (3.39/2)squared * 3.141... * 3.78

Quote Originally Posted by Sunburst_SS
    so, if we were to calculate this....we would use the measurments in inches correct??? So for our stock motor with the engine bore of 3.39" (86mm) and a stroke of 3.78" (96 mm) the equation would look like...

cyl. vol. = (3.39/2)squared * 3.141... * 3.78
    That looks correct. I haven't downloaded Marcin's spreadsheet but I assume that he has just added the conversion from cubic inches to litres as *(2.54^3)/1000.

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Tuner
    what would you use the (2.54^3)/1000 on??? The final # you get from the cyl. vol???

Quote Originally Posted by Sunburst_SS
    what would you use the (2.54^3)/1000 on??? The final # you get from the cyl. vol???
    Yeah, that is just the conversion from cubic inches to litres. Applying the formula and your bore/stroke I get 34.1178 cubic inches or .559091 litres/cylinder.

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredGXP
    Yeah, that is just the conversion from cubic inches to litres. Applying the formula and your bore/stroke I get 34.1178 cubic inches or .559091 litres/cylinder.

Something is wrong here because our stock is listed as: 0.49951

You're right, something is wonky:

I believe that the ecotech 2.0 has an 86mm bore and an 86mm stroke (as oposed to the numbers quoted above), which works out to a stock cylinder volume of .499557, pretty damn close to the advertised displacement of 1.998 litres.

So a .020 inch over cylinder has a bore of 86.508mm, which then yields a cylinder volume of .505476.

Tuner
    yea, I may of had the wrong measurements....I just did a quick search on google, and I guess that isn't always accurate lol. I was just making sure I had the formula correct....thanks man

I messed up my original calc. Too much of a hurry, I guess.

Hey, the OP stated that the overbore was 0.5 mm (close to 0.020 in.). All the dimensions here are metric. Why do people want to go back and forth between metric and inches??

The stock bore and stroke is 86 mm. With the stated overbore of 0.5 mm, plugging the numbers into my computer calc gives 0.50538.

Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyHHR
    Hey, the OP stated that the overbore was 0.5 mm (close to 0.020 in.). All the dimensions here are metric. Why do people want to go back and forth between metric and inches??
    Just bad habits

I live in a country that "officially" went metric 30 years ago, but grew up with Imperial measurements, and go back and forth between them all the time.