Thread: Camshaft Change for towing. aka: RV camshafts

Tuner

Camshaft Change for towing. aka: RV camshafts

I'm using hptuners, with outstanding success, to improve the towing capabilities of my V6 AWD Lifted Astro van. I know this differs a bit from most everyone else on the board but I was hoping to get your opinion about installing an RV camshaft.

I've logged a bunch of vacation tows and it looks like I'm staying below 4500 rpm all of the time and bellow 4000 rpm most of the time. So I'm thinking a 1000-4000 or 1500-4500 RV cam would be fine. Probably the latter would be a better choice.

I've looked at a lot of posts on this board and the various links/sites they relate to and most all seem to suggest that you do intake, headers and exhaust before a cam. But all these sites seem to be more performance oriented.

Question is, do you guys think in my case a good place to start would be the RV cam although it would be fun to add headers, etc this is my DD.

Additionally, what kind of improvements do you think the RV cam would bring? And would it be worth the money and time. I tend to tow/camp every 6 to 8 weeks with a minimum of 500 miles round trip at highway speeds.

Lastly, does this put me in a position of having to change push rods, rockers, springs, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Hank

I would spend some time with some of the dyno programs (desktop dyno?), and shoot for a cam that has peak torque at your tow rpm. This would be your best cam. Lowest BSFC is at peak torque, so this would make it run the best.

And, optimize gearing to match if needed ($$). Shorter tires are a quick and dirty way to adjust overall gearing some.

The LT1 cam specs are good for low end torque, look for a cam similar with more lift.

If it was me, the LT1 is a wonderful near bolt in to the Astro/Safari van. For AWD you need a special modified oil pan, but the swap is surprisingly easy.

Tuner
    Shorter tires?? GASP... Actually they are just 1" over stock so I did not go overboard. But I have looked into the gear change, although with AWD that gets pretty pricey.

The LT1 swap is tempting and a lot of guys on the Astro board have done it. But in all honesty the V6 is doing really well, now that I have the HPTuners software. Look for my other babbling post in the V6 section.

I'll probably have to do some more towing and tuning before I make a final decision.