Thread: invalid vin/os pair problem - 69 camaro with 99 camaro ls1 PCM

invalid vin/os pair problem - 69 camaro with 99 camaro ls1 PCM

Im trying to tune a 69 camaro ls1 swap with a 98 ls1 camaro pcm. Reading/Scanning goes fine but I get an error trying to write " invalid vin/os pair problem" VCM flashing disabled.

Here's the file

[EDIT it is a 98]
    Last edited by tealcamaro55; 07-13-2008 at 01:58 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its becase that operating system was never offered by GM for the vin number currently in the pcm, you'll need to have it flashed to a valid file & reread it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Its supposed to be an ls1+pcm out of a 98 camaro v8, is the OS not matching the vin in the PCM? The VIN is out of a 99 Camaro v8 so is it the OS wrong? This guy says someone with EFI live worked on it as well and they wrote some changes to it - could that have caused this?

So is it a problem of the OS or the VIN? Can i change the vin to make this pcm/writeable?
    Last edited by tealcamaro55; 07-13-2008 at 01:56 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its a problem with the vin http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_orde...&PopUpStatus=0 which is a 98 vin, not matching what gm http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web says the operating system should be.

-Bill

I see, any idea how this could be? Does it mean someone had to flash a different OS on it - (maybe the guy with EFI live?)

Can this be changed by changing the VIN to reflect the current OS - this might be easier than getting a dealer to reflash the PCM, no?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I see, any idea how this could be? Does it mean someone had to flash a different OS on it - (maybe the guy with EFI live?)
    At some point yes, someone flashed in an invalid file, we go by GM's standards.

Can this be changed by changing the VIN to reflect the current OS - this might be easier than getting a dealer to reflash the PCM, no?
    Sure but then it comes down to figuring out a vin number that will work with the operating system is in your pcm...it will be far less time consuming to simply flash in a valid file for the vin in the pcm currently & then just read it out.

So how do I go about flashing in a right file for the OS if it won't let me write, do I have to do that at the dealer or any way I can do that?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Dealer or anyone with access to a tech 2 or similar programmer.

Any idea what year/model the VCM OS ID 9355159 corresponds with? For some reason its not showing up on the GM service and parts lookup page....

If its, say an 01 corvette I could just look up a random VIN for an 01 corvette.

I see you're saying it would be simpler to get it reflashed at the dealer but why drop couple hundred for a reflash at the dealer when you can put in a new VIN - is there any side effects of commanding a different VIN if I try it that way?
    Last edited by tealcamaro55; 07-13-2008 at 03:17 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    No clue, could be pretty much any 97-98 LS1 vin number ie corvette, camaro or firebird

The thing is the current heads/cam tune already has substantial work done to it that the customer doesn't want to loose.

I've looked up the OS ID 9355159, and it comes up as an OS for a 98 corvette coupe. I went on TIS with a sample VIN 1G1YY22GXW5101892 and 9355159 is about the 4th one down in the history so they are a match, right?

I want to try and change the VIN from the current 98 Camaro v8 (2G1FP...) vin to this random 98 Corvette Coupe VIN (1G1YY...) - is changing the VIN a straightforward action/is there any potential side-effects? I don't care if I have to buy another HP tuners license for the new VIN, I'm more worried about effects to the PCM (if any)/if the VIN change doesnt work can I change it back thereafter?
    Last edited by tealcamaro55; 07-13-2008 at 04:29 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yes if it matches on TIS then it should be in our database.

Cool, I'll give it a try. So worst case I change the VIN to the random corvette one and it still tells me that it doesn't match, and then I can change it back to the original camaro one again and I'm back where I started right?

In other words, there's no limit to how many times you can change the vin / any adverse side effects of changing it (PCM not wanting to accept the VIN) right?
    Last edited by tealcamaro55; 07-13-2008 at 05:08 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah theres no limit on how many times you can change a vin.

Awesome, I'll give it a try. As always, I appreciate your help, thanks!