Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: E40 Idle Speed with M6

Tuner in Training

E40 Idle Speed with M6

I have a 2006 M6 GTO that's mechanically completely stock. With HP Tuners I have it tuned to run E-85. The problem that I'm encountering is that no matter how I set the Idle>Idle Airflow>Airflow Final Minimum or Idle>Idle RPM>Target Idle Speed I cannot get the car to drop under 800 RPM. I did a scan post flashing the tune with the lower Airflow Final Minimum and Target Idle Speed and the Idle Desired RPM is still 800. However, if I use the VCM controls to set the idle speed the Idle Desired RPM will move and it will idle as low as 650.

I'd really like to be able to slow the idle down on my car. 800 at idle seems a little high and it uses 1 gal/hr on E-85. Most of the time when I scan I drop it down to 650 and have never had a problem with driveability.
    2006 - Quicksilver/Red - M6 - 18's - APS Twin Turbo - LS9 Cam - Vic Jr Intake- 80# SD Injectors - Kooks Street Screamer Catback - HP Tuned by me on E-85 - BC Racing Coilovers - 18x8.5F 18x9.5R Hyperblack CSL Replicas

I have seen this exact behavior as well. Not sure what to do about it though. There appear to be some hard coded things in the E40's that have yet to be cracked (IE: O2 Switchpoints).
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Something else I noticed tonight; This is causing more problems than I thought. If I command say 700 RPM's for the target idle speed then my idle timing goes WAY low because the PCM is using the Idle Adaptive Spark Control to try and get the RPM's down but the hard limit is keeping it from getting there. So I end up with like 15 degrees of idle timing!!!
    Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 12-02-2007 at 10:40 PM.
    Bill Winters

Bill, I'm wondering if the Base Running airflow is a little too high for your lower idle speed. Remember it's a minimum airflow value.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    In this case Airflow final minimum has no effect on the idle speed. The Idle Desired RPM will not drop below 800 unless VCM controls are used.
    2006 - Quicksilver/Red - M6 - 18's - APS Twin Turbo - LS9 Cam - Vic Jr Intake- 80# SD Injectors - Kooks Street Screamer Catback - HP Tuned by me on E-85 - BC Racing Coilovers - 18x8.5F 18x9.5R Hyperblack CSL Replicas

Senior Tuner
    I emailed Bill @ HPT about this, seems there are working on a solution. I have pretty much zeroed out the RAF Table and it will not use the flashed Desired Idle RPM, it stops at 895rpms (on my example). I am sure Chris will find a solution for us.

That'd be great. While they're at it maybe see if they can get the switchpoints to work too. Also the AC disabling; I have flashed the car with Chris' suggested AC disable settings but it still did not work. After that all of the E40 bugs I know of will be fixed.

Whats weird is the stock BIN says it idles at 650. I wonder if you're running a stock, unaltered OS whether it really idles that low.

Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 12-05-2007 at 10:43 AM.
    Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    That'd be great. While they're at it maybe see if they can get the switchpoints to work too. I have flashed the car with Chris' suggested AC disable settings but have not had a chance to test it yet. After that all of the E40 bugs I know of will be fixed.

Whats weird is the stock BIN says it idles at 650. I wonder if you're running a stock, unaltered OS whether it really idles that low.

My stock tune before my big cam was 650 and it had no problems with stalling or surging at all...

What about after you flashed it? Did it still stay @ 650?
    Bill Winters

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Can one of you guys post your .hpt file as well as a scanner log while logging commanded idle rpm please so I can see if its simply not being commanded to lower than 800 or if it is that maybe theres something else ie etc trying to keep it at 800 or more.

Thanks,
    Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    I am unable to access the GTO I experienced this on until after the new year. Do you still have that tune file Bill? I doubt I have a log file of this issue.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah, reallly need a scanner log using that tune while logging commanded idle rpm.

You remember how when you wanted your parents to see you do something you couldn't pull it off? This just happened to me. The 850 RPM problem has been pretty consistent for me. So much so that I hadn't attempted to idle below it for quite some time. So when I attempted to fulfill Bill's request of course I could not get it to happen. I commanded 700 RPM' and thats what I got. I commanded 800 and thats what I got. So here are my logs but I don't think anything can be gleamed from them since it's working as it should. I have no idea when it started working, perhaps after I did my new idle tuning procedure but it's impossible to say since I have been commanding 850 for so long. someone else will have to post a log of commanding less than 850 and not getting it.
    Bill Winters

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You remember how when you wanted your parents to see you do something you couldn't pull it off? This just happened to me. The 850 RPM problem has been pretty consistent for me. So much so that I hadn't attempted to idle below it for quite some time. So when I attempted to fulfill Bill's request of course I could not get it to happen. I commanded 700 RPM' and thats what I got. I commanded 800 and thats what I got. So here are my logs but I don't think anything can be gleamed from them since it's working as it should. I have no idea when it started working, perhaps after I did my new idle tuning procedure but it's impossible to say since I have been commanding 850 for so long. someone else will have to post a log of commanding less than 850 and not getting it.

If anyone else wants to run this test please do so & use the config bill used as it gives all the info we need.

Advanced Tuner
    That'd be great. While they're at it maybe see if they can get the switchpoints to work too. Also the AC disabling; I have flashed the car with Chris' suggested AC disable settings but it still did not work. After that all of the E40 bugs I know of will be fixed.

Even with the bugs, I love my E40. LOL (The GTO's AC disable works, did you try those settings?)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Can one of you guys post your .hpt file as well as a scanner log while logging commanded idle rpm please so I can see if its simply not being commanded to lower than 800 or if it is that maybe theres something else ie etc trying to keep it at 800 or more.

Thanks,
    Bill
    I have a 2006 A4 GTO, the minimum there is 550 (maybe 545) ... I'll see if I set it to 500 and take some scans so you can see that it won't go any lower no matter what.

Advanced Tuner
    You remember how when you wanted your parents to see you do something you couldn't pull it off? This just happened to me.
    CRAZY! Perhaps its some "Engine Diagnotic Trouble Codes" changes you've made? Someone once ended up with their 2005 LS2 GTO running LEAN CRUISE after making some changes to that on their car. It was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by LazMan
    Even with the bugs, I love my E40. LOL (The GTO's AC disable works, did you try those settings?)
    Seriously? I tried Chris' settings and got squadoosh. Can you post a log showing the AC status bits in that thread?
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    Here is my scan of what happens with the tune I used.

looks like there is another table there that is limiting it at 800. not many people request a lower idle speed than stock, in fact i think you may be the first

Please email your file & serial # to support and i'll add it for you to test.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...