Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Machine for tuning

Tuner in Training
    If you Haven't bought already I would suggest the fastest Duo-core (AMD equivalent) you can get for $1k or less. Skip the bells and whistles to keep the processor speed up as long as it has wireless for traveling in hotels. I like broadband though and don't know about Sprint mobile. Skip the cheapy or you'll be kicking yourself later.

Thought I would dredge up an old thread and praise the Toughbook recommendation. My 'old reliable' has been a Dell Inspiron 8000 (P3 1GHz, 512Gb, 1600x1200 display) that was originally my Pro/ENGINEER workstation when new. It's been through many batteries and hard drives over the years, but just keeps chugging along. I have been secretly hoping it would die one day, but I have had a really hard time justifying dropping the coin for something with as large of a screen. I will NOT miss lugging that ~9 pound monster around.

This week, I scored a Toughbook CF-73 from eBay for $329 shipped. Currently, it looks to be about as ideal of a machine as I can ask for: 1Gb RAM, touch screen, built in wireless, Pentium M 1.7GHz. Screen is a little on the small side, but I will survive. I survived with 80x25 text terminals for how long?

When the car is in the driveway, I can RDP into it and work on it from my desk, so I have spent very little time actually working in the editor on the little screen.

It's in really nice shape and costs WAY less than a CF-74, which is the same size with just a faster processor.

One more tip: the Lind PA1650-1253 works really well for adapting to the car's 12v system.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast9C1 View Post
    Thought I would dredge up an old thread and praise the Toughbook recommendation... This week, I scored a Toughbook CF-73...
    I told you so. Now you know what all the hype is about. When I finally retire my CF73, I'm going to the fully rugged mil-spec C30 touchscreen.