Thread: Anyone with E-85 experience?

Question Anyone with E-85 experience?

Hello,
    I am attempting to run my 2.4 s/c on E-85. Currently I am running a 50/50 mix but I'd like to go straight to 100% if my IDC's will allow it.

I am working on flashing a new firmware into my wideband, but it will only go from 4.5 to 8.5 afr if I do this, and E-85 is 9.76 stoich right?

At wide open on 100% E-85 and full boost I'd want 6.9 ish AFR?

I understand I can set stoich in the editor to 9.76, but what is the flex fuel setting in my VCM? Can I simply enable this and if so what does it do?

My biggest concern now is the IDC. I have 60 lb injectors but I am already seeing 94% IDC at about 11.20 AFR.

The only other way I can think of to tune this is like a carb on a dyno and add fuel until she noses over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a rough log file, I've not done any LTFT or STFT tuning as yet, just open loop WOT, so please don't hammer me for the crazy afr down low.

Thanks Again
    Jim
    Last edited by Quasimotor; 12-03-2007 at 02:02 PM.
    2006 Chevy HHR 2.4L W/M62 Eaton From a Cobalt.
    60 Lb Siemens injectors
    2.7 inch pulley
    Upgraded Aftercooler plate
    Ion MAF with 3 inch tube
    2.5 bar LSJ MAP
    obx header
    trying to tune for e-85

Tuner in Training
    What scale is your wideband displaying in? If it's setup on the gasoline scale, then tune like you would as if you are on gasoline. Or switch to Lambda. You will be insanely rich, if you have the wideband displaying in gasoline mode where stoich is 14.69 and you are trying to tune to 9.76. If stoich is 9.76:1 then it will just show as 14.69:1 on the display.

I wouldn't make a drastic change to your wideband firmware. Either just tune it as if it's on gasoline or tune it in Lambda mode(if your wideband supports that, a lot do). E85 isn't a 100% consistant fuel, you will rarely find it with 85% ethanol, up here in MN it changes a with each season and the mix is around 70% ethanol right now. E85 is very common up here and we run all kinds of forced induction cars on it. You need a decent amount more fuel system to be able to run it. Like on a Mitsu Evo that has 560cc injectors stock, you need to goto around 750-780cc injectors to break even, but most people goto 880cc-1000cc injectors because they will run higher boost on E85, make more power and want some head room. The easiest way to get the part throttle, starting, WOT etc close is to do an injector size change. For example, with 60lb injectors, you might switch the size to something in the 42-45lb range, since E85 uses around 30% more fuel.