Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good reason to keep adding tables for us 3800 guys....

Bill,

You meant to say PE spark adder, not IAT spark adder.

Russ Kemp

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Bill,

You meant to say PE spark adder, not IAT spark adder.

Russ Kemp
    Corrected

Thanks,
    Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by johnh
    Anything on the 04+ Drive by wire Throttle control (I've seen the PCM close my throttle during shifts.....nothing like a 55% TPS with your foot planted!)
    Send us your file and a log showing the issue. This falls under category #1 in my previous post. Obviously removing torque management is desireable for racing use. It's a simple matter of working out why the throttle is closing. It could be an existing table that isn't set correctly.

You don't need to prove you need a table added, just that if we don't know a problem exists it's kinda hard to fix it. I'm not adding things for eye candy purposes.

If you have a problem with tuning something email support and we'll look into it. Many people do this and they get a beta release with params added for their calibration or a few files tweaked by me for them to try to see what works and what doesn't. The it's just a matter of rolling that change out to the rest of the cals.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Also, i'm working on support for the new 06/07 3800's which rates a higher priority than adding params to existing cals.

You just made my day. Just waiting to dig into my wifes '06 GP.....anxious to see this happen!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    No need to prove anything, but we need to know a table is missing & know which table it is to be able to even add it
    Fair enough. It just sounded a little odd, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    We're always willing to work with our customers in adding parameters but need your help to be able to do so in many cases so we're not looking for a needle in a haystack, thats all I was saying.
    This is music to my ears. It's nice to see the people who actually work on the coding answer questions in the forums.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Good to see an influx of V6 guys. One table the PT has that the HPT doesn't, that the cammed guys may find useful, is the Alternator vs RPM cutoff table.

Advanced Tuner
    When I get my HPT, one of the first things I want to look at is what files the PT has that the HPT doesn't have (I am sure someone did this already, but I will do it anyway), and see which ones are important to ask for and why, if any, at least initially.

I know several that neither have that I could request and give a good justification for off the top of my head, but as I said before, lets see what I can do with the HPT before asking for more.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    my current spreadsheet shows 549 calibrations for the V6's 97-05...

As an example, the LS1 has around 30 for the same period.

There is a reduction of course as some V6 cals are the same layout as others, but it's not much (and they still need to be checked anyway). It's still around 10x the work. => GM

edit: and it's boring as hell!!
    First, what Jerry said about asking for more tables.. Yeah, I will let you catch up Jerry.. I have been through them (available tables) already.. A few times over.

Regarding the calibrations an repeatedly mapping tables, yeah, I know how boring it can be. Can I help limit them a bit? I know you currently support 2 bins for my 97 gtp.. A few for my sister's 97 gt.. And several other calibrations that are simply older and more modern calibrations supported by gm for the same vehicle. This is just in the Grand Prixs and Grand Ams I have looked at. Cut it down to the newest calibration.. GM has a nice site to check what the newest stock calibration for a vehicle (based on vin) is.
    Last edited by bilemke; 12-15-2007 at 12:02 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Thats exactly what we were talking about (Bill and I). I think thats an excellent idea.

Please consider the need to do something that DHP did a while ago, and that is to limit your work to only the newest and latest calibrations and teach our people how to update their PCMs to the newest cal.

BTW, thats nearly a word for word quote (lol)... but that alone would reduce work down significantly and free up a little time to advance in other things.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    Thats exactly what we were talking about (Bill and I). I think thats an excellent idea.

Please consider the need to do something that DHP did a while ago, and that is to limit your work to only the newest and latest calibrations and teach our people how to update their PCMs to the newest cal.

BTW, thats nearly a word for word quote (lol)... but that alone would reduce work down significantly and free up a little time to advance in other things.
    we won't be doing that, forcing people to go to a dealer just to use our product isn't very customer friendly. Also we aren't going to delete support for something just because GM released a new upgrade.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    we won't be doing that, forcing people to go to a dealer just to use our product isn't very customer friendly. Also we aren't going to delete support for something just because GM released a new upgrade.
    I don't think we explained ourselves properly, Chris. There are 500+ cals for the 3800s, but there aren't 500 variations or kinds of vehicles over all years that GM relased the 3800 in. It means that you are likely supporting several different versions of the cal for a single car/year combination.

As an example, 1999 GTPs alone had 4 cals released of which the latest one works 100% well on *all* '99 GTPs and 2001 had something like 8 or 9 cals of which you do not need to support more than 3 (and ONLY in the tranny areas are these 3 different!).

So what was meant was for you to prune out the cals that you do not need (drop at least 3 from the 99 GTPs, 5-6 from the 2001 GTPs, and so on)... and one DOESN'T need to go to a GM dealership to ask all HPT users reflash their PCMs to receive this latest base code, all that happens is that the latest cal is placed in the bin repository as being "THE" supported bin by HPT to function on any particular car. These are all easily identified by their unique OSID (anyone could find out from an open GM website whatthe latest cal for their car is and there are a few key people here that I believe could get that file for you, if needed). They could easily use that bin as a starting point to flash their car and start tuning with... and at the same time, get the added benefits of whatever upgrades GM implanted into those cals with the latest versions.

I do not know the exact amount, but it would not surprise me if you suddenly had 50-100 cals less to bother with after doing this exercise. It's a win-win proposition for both client and yourself.

Edit: I may be asking something be done without knowing if it's even possible or not... again due to my lack of knowledge about the HPT. I know it can do partial writes, but can the HPT do full writes of the complete OS in a PCM? This is what is needed when upgrading cals from one revision to another. In the PT world we had both partial and full writes. Full writes were needed to be done basically once, and all writes after that were partials. Times like this I feel a touch foolish and frustrated becuase of my lack of experience. I certainly do NOT want to rock the boat.
    Last edited by JerryH; 12-15-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

we can do full writes, but it's still not gonna happen.
    I count sheep in hex...

Another issue would be for none tuner shops, you would need to use credits for the tune from the repository,
    and for the car your performing the write entire to.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    No prob, I'll not discuss it further.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Another issue would be for none tuner shops, you would need to use credits for the tune from the repository,
    and for the car your performing the write entire to.

Russ Kemp
    Well now I understand why its not going to happen. I was not aware that the OSID is part of the licensing identification/verification process. I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their business, I'm just here to have fun tuning and sharing. If I could have saved Chris a ton of work, it would have been my pleasure.

Thanks Russ.
    Last edited by JerryH; 12-15-2007 at 04:44 PM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Advanced Tuner
    Hm. yeah, full write is there..

Since i have uses 4 credit for all 97 3.8L grand prixs.. I think I have written 2 calibration ids for a 97 GTP and 1 for a 97 GT to my spare PCM a few times.

See some familiar names here

Where did you guys purchase your HPTuner ? directly or through a reseller ?
    2005 GTP CompG - Mods: XP Cam, DR, 1.6 RR, SSIC, Wizaired, 180 Tstat, MPS 3.0, TR7IX, TOGS, Corsa cat-back, MSP poly mnts, ZZP off-road DP, AEROFORCE, LQ4 MAF, 39# Inj, TB spacer, Fast IAT, PRJ wires, HIDs, Speedbuilt STB F&R, FBody brk

Advanced Tuner
    I purchased mine directly from HP Tuners.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Advanced Tuner
    Mine is coming direct from HPT as well. deepblue... do we know you by another name (I see this is post #1 for you)? Nice to see a little more action in here for sure!
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Tuner in Training
    I think I'm going to have to scrounge up 499 sometime soon too... BUT only after I figure out how in the hell I can get my car supported.

I know they will never support my original year/model, but I need to look into the 97 setup I have going on... Only thing listed as supported is 97 Monte, and 97 Montana, I need to test both of those config's on my setup to see if they even work.