Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good reason to keep adding tables for us 3800 guys....

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    Mine is coming direct from HPT as well. deepblue... do we know you by another name (I see this is post #1 for you)? Nice to see a little more action in here for sure!
    Just joined this Board when I found out that the PT support is basically gone. Seemed most people were talking about moving to HPT now. I was on the PT boards but not terribly active. I was pretty happy between your Tuner notebook and Eddie's table modifier. I just needed access to more tables for the 05 GP and some fixes for things like DTC P2A01.
    I'll probably order my HPTuner after the Xmas bills are gone.
    2005 GTP CompG - Mods: XP Cam, DR, 1.6 RR, SSIC, Wizaired, 180 Tstat, MPS 3.0, TR7IX, TOGS, Corsa cat-back, MSP poly mnts, ZZP off-road DP, AEROFORCE, LQ4 MAF, 39# Inj, TB spacer, Fast IAT, PRJ wires, HIDs, Speedbuilt STB F&R, FBody brk

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    my current spreadsheet shows 549 calibrations for the V6's 97-05...
    So Chris what is the point in mapping out all 549 calibrations? I mean if Gm comes up with an update then the old calibration is obselete. Why would you support those? Rather than just having your customer download the latest version. Wouldnt that substantially reduce your workload and ensure you customers have the latest code for their vehicle?
    Will

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 Regal GS
    So Chris what is the point in mapping out all 549 calibrations? I mean if Gm comes up with an update then the old calibration is obselete. Why would you support those? Rather than just having your customer download the latest version. Wouldnt that substantially reduce your workload and ensure you customers have the latest code for their vehicle?
    Will
    Telling our customers

"Sorry you need to Go to the dealer and give them $100 to Flash it to the newest stock calibration because this week gm released a new operating system"

is NOT user friendly nor the right thing to do to our customers and then for US to keep with with what the "newest" calibration is and only update that version who's to say GM doesn't come out with a new update yet we're still updating the old OS...it would become one big cluster....and saying yeah we support this os but not that one would simply be wrong in every sense.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by 90 Regal GS
    Will
    the problem is this, of the top of my head:

1. we have many 1000's of customers, not all our customers log in or even have access to the net or even care. We have real stats on this from our customer login vs. sales data. trust me it is not a "given" that all a customer has to do is login and download blah blah, and if you add a reseller in between it just gets worse

2. imagine you have been happily tuning your car since whenever, then suddenly you download a new release and it is not supported, what's worse is you cannot evenb copy over tuning changes because we removed support for your calibration. Even worse, we did actually decide to release operating system enhancements and your's is no longer supported or even recognized. T
    There may be a way out, but you are probably pissed to say the least.

3. We like our product to work "out of the box" so to speak. As vehicles get older they are less likely to see a dealer or have the latest calibration loaded. In effect by only supporting the latest you are guaranteeing a lower out of the box success rate every year the product is on the market.

4. relying on 3rd party sources for all the latest releases is not practical, nor does it make for low risk business.

5. performing a "Write entire" is not risk free for the V6's. Asking a user to do a write entire as probably their first write to the PCM is asking for trouble and i'm sure Bill could do without the extra emails.

6. In some cases is it desireable to support the older operating systems due to simpler or less restrictive operation. eg. in some cases torque management etc.

7. from a development perspective the sunk development cost is too high. We already spent the time to add 250 parameters for something, it seems crazy to throw it away to make adding an extra 10 take a few days less.

i could probably go on, but i think you get the idea.

This is primarily a small resourcing issue that is best solved with resources, rather than trying to think up a miracle cure that breaks so many other things. Combined with the overriding fact that what is in the editor now pretty much is all you need (with a couple of exceptions that are begin addressed for openloop etc.). I don't think the large shops that tune with our product every day would let us go 4 years without covering the area's that are needed...

Having said all that (and geez i didn't realize i typed so much, lol), we have never put the V6's on the backburner and have always been willing to help people with issues getting the air, fuel, spark, trans or whatever to do what they want it to do. GM throws a lot of oddball variations in the code that aren't obvious until you see the problem. If you have a problem all you gotta do is email support and if it's fixable it will be fixed.

I also realize that many of you guys are new to HPT and in some cases have some preconceived idea of what our product is or isn't and whether it is fact or fiction, hopefully in the end you will see us as hardworking enthusiasts just like you who all own performance cars and want to see you tuning successfully, regardless of if that means just changing the shift points of the trans or trying to make a control system that was never designed for 20psi boost ingest 20 psi of boost

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Well, just speaking for me, I appreciate the patience from everyone until I can get through this knowledge transfer. Sometimes it takes longer to learn how to do things in a different way than it took to learn initially.

I will say that I do appreeciate the presence and fast responses that we get here from HPT employees. I am definately not used to getting feedback or service this fast, and I really want to thank you guys for this!
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Tuner in Training
    Sorry guys i figured it out on the previous page of this post I dont know what happened must have been my migraine but I thought my post was after the end of the first page not on the third. HAHA Please dont shoot!

Any way as Jerry said it is nice to see somone in here regularly to answer questions when we have them. Thank you for your time and I hope I didnt anger you already.

WiLL

If you are like me and tune huge numbers of various V6 cars, you will defenitely see the advantages of having such a great support team. These guys actually listen, and react to customer need, and alsway think first about what effects their development and investment will have before blindly jumping in. The development team here is hands down the best I have seen. They push out the most solid and trouble free releases with additional enhancements in each. Basically all you have to do is ask, and quantify the request, and more than likely you will see it in the upcoming releases.
    Regal GS Site Owner / HPT Moderator / FTV6 Mod

Quote Originally Posted by devildog9999
    If you are like me and tune huge numbers of various V6 cars, you will defenitely see the advantages of having such a great support team. These guys actually listen, and react to customer need, and alsway think first about what effects their development and investment will have before blindly jumping in. The development team here is hands down the best I have seen. They push out the most solid and trouble free releases with additional enhancements in each. Basically all you have to do is ask, and quantify the request, and more than likely you will see it in the upcoming releases.

I have not been here too long, but I have read a large amount of threads that span over a long period of time and I have to say that the support has never wavered. Reliability, accuracy, and consistency are hallmarks of the support team in my opinion. I am happy to be here.
    2001 Silver GTP Coupe
    Self-Tuned - HP Tuner|3EP Trans 3.29|S2IC|1.9s - 105s|N*|GenV|Pacesetters|Lucas 42.5s|3.0 pulley|AL 104s|10.3 wires|Poly MM|180 stat|Alt/FP Rewire|GMPP|STB.

Tuner in Training
    the only complaint/question I have toward support here is why are they so set in stone that they don't want to add anymore support for say a 97 Venture ECM or something like that? All I need is that one OSID to be supported and then it makes my life 100x easier because unless a Montana ECM works for me I have no chance or even reason to buy the suite because they were so sure that they will never add support for the vehicle I want to run.
    1996 Toy Beretta
    3500/4t60e-HD LOTS of mods
    100 Shot Nitrous...
    12.48@113 Oct 2017

Adding support for that one OS ID is time consuming. Because venture is not a very popular tuner vehicle we've chosen not to add support for that model vehicle.

If it was as easy as just plugging your OS ID into a database list and being done with it, sure we'd do that.. but its much more complicated than that.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    my current spreadsheet shows 549 calibrations for the V6's 97-05...
    Keeping in mind that GM used the 3800 in everything during those times. Also, during those years you have the 3800 Series II N/A, 3800 Series II GTP, 3800 Series III N/A, 3800 Series III S/C and the 3800 Series III Comp G. So there's a lot of different engine uses, as opposed to Corvette and F-body, and the F-body died during that time frame as well
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue
    See some familiar names here

Where did you guys purchase your HPTuner ? directly or through a reseller ?
    Directly
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

Potential Tuner
    I just want to pop in here and say thanks. I don't even own an HPtuner (yet). But already i have had more questions answered on this site by an actual employee, than i ever did on the dhp forums. And i always had luck over there finding what i needed (mostly due to jerryh and eddie). But it's nice to see people that run the company actually participating in the discussions. That alone has convinced me to sell my DHP and pick up an HPT in the very near future.

And i'm sure i'm not the only one who will be jumping the dhp ship soon. I'm just glad to see that even with all the pain in the ass bullshit that GM threw in your face, you guys are still keeping our old cars in your mind, and still adding tables to it

Quote Originally Posted by 99BLACKGT
    I just want to pop in here and say thanks. I don't even own an HPtuner (yet). But already i have had more questions answered on this site by an actual employee, than i ever did on the dhp forums. And i always had luck over there finding what i needed (mostly due to jerryh and eddie). But it's nice to see people that run the company actually participating in the discussions. That alone has convinced me to sell my DHP and pick up an HPT in the very near future.
    All you guys thought us HPT users were kidding :lol: Personally, I'd like to thank JohnH. He's been a huge help to me even before he had an HPT with helping me tune.
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

Has HPTuners considered paying to be a retailer on clubgp? And with the sudden influx of the 3800 crowd, have they considered autotune for the 3800 as well? LOL
    Last edited by Onyx Dragon; 12-27-2007 at 03:02 AM.
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    V6 code does not lend itself for ANY type of custom operating systems especially not Real time tuning custom OS's, its similar to the 98 LS1 pcm in that aspect. Histograms, copy & paste & 25-30 second write times for most of the v6 crowd is about as good as we can get it in that respect.

Also make sure your not confusing autotune with autove http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...55&postcount=2 as most people easily confuse these two.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    V6 code does not lend itself for ANY type of custom operating systems especially not Real time tuning custom OS's, its similar to the 98 LS1 pcm in that aspect. Histograms, copy & paste & 25-30 second write times for most of the v6 crowd is about as good as we can get it in that respect.

Also make sure your not confusing autotune with autove http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...55&postcount=2 as most people easily confuse these two.

Na, I was looking for autotune. Yeah, I read somewhere on here that the V6 code just isn't too good for that. I wish it was.
    1995 Jeep Cherokee