Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: V6 VE Tuning Test

Advanced Tuner
    Show off.. Showing a screen shot.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by devildog9999
    It has been here for a long time...
    Awesome! I also saw the button for the glowplugs too... I can't wait to start tuning my GTP with diesel fuel and break the 75mpg mark (thats a JOKE for those that don't know me).
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Not to nitpick, but the XP won't work with stock heads...you need milled retainers and springs....so they aren't stock anymore--granted that's not much in the way of head work but still you can just slap in the XP cam and not touch the heads....they won't last long.

You can run the VS with 100% stock heads, but if you want to rev higher, springs are recommended.

I like being able to reset the trims in the scanner...on the fly.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

i to have the ve table that will not run when 0ed out...hmm

04 ETC l32.... same a johns.... curious where this left off...

Dan

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Dragon
    Keeping in mind you can reset the fuel trims automatically with the HP tuner at the click of a button. In which case, you'll see the new trims right away.
    No. You will see the new UNLEARNED trims after a FL reset.

The absolute fastest way that on my car I have seen learned trims is flash the PCM, reset trims, drive for 10-15 min, stop, turn off car for 1 min, drive for 10-15 min and see the trims complete the learning cycle. This is REALLY pushing it and not recommended if you want the best results.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dtabet2
    04 ETC l32.... same a johns.... curious where this left off...
    Where? Just like you see it... lol.
    It works on some cars, yet others do not see a difference. I use an XP cam (VS is so close to stock as to not be worth the hassle for me), headers, N*, PnPed S/C inlet and outlet, smaller pulley... and for me it is an integral part of my tune. If I go back to a stock VE and work only with the MAF table to give me similar scans, I lose 3-4 MPG on the highway.

Go figure.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Advanced Tuner
    I want control of this (the way ve is used) so badly..
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    Where? Just like you see it... lol.
    It works on some cars, yet others do not see a difference. I use an XP cam (VS is so close to stock as to not be worth the hassle for me), headers, N*, PnPed S/C inlet and outlet, smaller pulley... and for me it is an integral part of my tune. If I go back to a stock VE and work only with the MAF table to give me similar scans, I lose 3-4 MPG on the highway.

Go figure.
    this was in reference to the ve table zero'd out not the cam thing...

dan
    Dan
    '04 GTP comp G .
    No longer unmodded. HEHE
    3.4 Intense MPS, custom (by Me) Pcm, 39Lb Injectors (cobra), Intense FWI, Autolite 104's, Aeroforce Scan Gauge in the Heater Ball. 180degree Therm, Intense IC, 1.84 ZZP rockers, SLP header w/ SLP Cat, Slp Catback, hptuner PRO
    ET [email protected] before alot..lol

Senior Tuner
    I'm in a damed 3400 that is in left field! Did the heads to accommodate the cam. Now at 10.48:1 comp with 20 thousands shaved from the heads, Z06 valve springs, valves done, heads flow 268 cfm and am running 36lb injectors. When my MAF fails I'm on the side of the road....so the ability to tune the VE table without it setting the trans to full pressure would be something that would be good for anyone like me. Not really something you want to play with. If you have "factory" mounts, this can rip em' to pieces with just a couple of shifts from park to drive(especially the trans mount on these 3400's....)

What I have seen here is the V6's are treated as though we are dealing with factory tunes, or very close to it..."no need to tune the ve table"....see it all the time. Well, there is a need! That one ability cost me $260 for a friggin' tow because my MAF failed last year and the car would not run(cold air intake decided it was thirsty and took a drink from a puddle) and still will not run without a MAF. Can't make it more plain than that guys. Looks like these will be addressed very soon though from what I've seen from Chris, Bill, and a couple of others. Whether it makes a difference "daily driving" or not, the functionality of the VE tables and the associated DTC's are needed here for different reasons on different cars.

Tuner
    If it makes a difference i've noticed a big difference in idle and driveablity when i tune the VE, i'm also running an S1X and every bolton there is.
    98 Buick GSX IS3 Heads/GenVblower/cammed/intercooled and stalled
    02 Collector Edition Trans Am WS6
    94 S-10 with Rancho 3" lift on 33's
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Advanced Tuner
    Seems very much to be make/model/year dependant. I think the best advice is too just try it. If you see benefits, use it. If not, don't.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Senior Tuner

Cool

I figured it out!!!

Was looking at the other v6's on how to dissable the MAF fail line pressure. They have a specific table for this, I found mine, it's been there the whole time I think! In DTC's, dissable P101, 102, 103(MAF fail pids) and set them to #3, no error reported. Set the MAF fail to "0", PE enable to 100%, copy the High Octaine table to the Low, and dissable DFCO completely. Holy crap!! I had to reduce the table by almost 32% in the lower sections(below 3200rpm) and was out by about 20% for the rest. I am by no means done yet, but am seeing readings around the 5-7% mark now...wooo hoooo!

AND NO BANGING GEARS!!!

I'm going to post a screen shot of this when it's done, you have to see the difference, unreal...
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    Very good to know! This has not been a problem for me, but I do remember hearing from many others that this was an issue for them.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1
    Was looking at the other v6's on how to dissable the MAF fail line pressure. They have a specific table for this, I found mine, it's been there the whole time I think! In DTC's, dissable P101, 102, 103(MAF fail pids) and set them to #3, no error reported.
    Setting the Maf DTC's to no error reported will not allow SD mode. There has to be a Maf DTC in order to be in SD mode.
    The Maf DTC's must be set to no mil.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Setting the Maf DTC's to no error reported will not allow SD mode. There has to be a Maf DTC in order to be in SD mode.
    The Maf DTC's must be set to no mil.

Russ Kemp
    Yeah, like Russ said.. I went to far in the list on accident once and wasted an entire trip to work of scanning only to find out when I got there that the dtc hadnt set. No dtc = no sd. Just turn the light off instead.

Regarding the gear banging, a family members Grand Am GT commands max line pressure when maf dtcs are set.. Drives me nuts.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bilemke
    Yeah, like Russ said.. I went to far in the list on accident once and wasted an entire trip to work of scanning only to find out when I got there that the dtc hadnt set. No dtc = no sd. Just turn the light off instead.

Regarding the gear banging, a family members Grand Am GT commands max line pressure when maf dtcs are set.. Drives me nuts.

Does this DTC apply towards open loop tuning for MAF and VE? Because the few guides I have read about MAF and VE tuning talk nothing about setting a DTC? So unplugging the MAF alone will not work?
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.

Senior Tuner
    Well 'aint that a kick in the ass. I thought I finally was getting around that trans thing. So, now I have a question.
    What the hell did I do???? I had the MAF unpluged to make sure I was OK as well. How did the changes made to the VE table to get the car to run then? Now I'm really confused.....
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    Ahh.. If you actualy unplugged the MAF sensor and changed the DTCs, you were probably fine.. Otherwise, if you leave the MAF plugged in and a DTC doesnt set, it will keep using the MAF if you mess with the Maf Max Frequency value.

Senior Tuner
    I did set the freq fail to "0"....
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, but you unplugged the maf too.. That is the key. If you had only set the fail to 0 and told it to not run the dtcs (thus not setting a dtc code when it should have), you would still be running of the maf.