Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: V6 VE Tuning Test

Senior Tuner
    Thank-you. I am going to just unplug the MAF for a little cruise and see what the scanner reports for trims. I have some pretty crazy mounts in the car now, I'm sure it will be ok just to check the results. Really don't want to damage them though! ,.....I'll take it real easy..hahahaahahah
    Thanks again,

Paul
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bilemke
    Yeah, but you unplugged the maf too.. That is the key. If you had only set the fail to 0 and told it to not run the dtcs (thus not setting a dtc code when it should have), you would still be running of the maf.
    agreed.
    good post mike.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by usd2sing
    agreed.
    good post mike.
    mike?
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner
    For those with MAFs having integrated IAT sensors (5 wire plugs) who cannot disconnect the sensor, zeroing the MAF transfer function and setting the fail frequency to zero will produce accurate results.

Tuner in Training
    the 5 wire adapter uses the existing wiring. You should be able to just disconnect the stock maf harness and leave the temp sensor still connected
    Mike (MOJO)

2003 GTP, L36 swap, TOGs extremes, ZZP stage 3 heads, SSIC, ZZP Ported Blower, 3.0/3.2 pulley, XP hot cam w/ 105#, 42.5# injectors, N* w/ 85mm MAF, Meziere Water Pump.
    Need more info, follow link below

Mod List
    http://www.jscgp.com/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=5

http://www.jscgp.com

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by damojo2003
    the 5 wire adapter uses the existing wiring. You should be able to just disconnect the stock maf harness and leave the temp sensor still connected
    I must have hard wired mine in...

Just finished my VE tune. Runs better than ever:

Now I'll definitely know when the MAF fails!

2000 Regal GS | Twin-Charged T72 | HPT Pro + PLX Wideband | 12.55 @ 110 on 15psi | Now running 20psi on E85!

1998 5.9L Durango | Powerdyne supercharger @6psi | Mesa Headers | Gibson Cat-back | 1.7 RR's | Tuned PCM | Ported Heads | Custom TB & Intake | Custom fuel rails | Rebuild coming soon...

Advanced Tuner
    It's all in one connector. At least on my car it is.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Tuner in Training
    yh...i have all in one connector, but the temp sensor connect at one connector (white in the pic) and the maff connects to another (black in the pic), then the 5 wires connect into 1 connector at the new maf. You can still remove the stock maf harness (black) from the 5 wire connector while leaving the temp sensor (white) connected to the 5 wire maf

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=603&catid=108
    Mike (MOJO)

2003 GTP, L36 swap, TOGs extremes, ZZP stage 3 heads, SSIC, ZZP Ported Blower, 3.0/3.2 pulley, XP hot cam w/ 105#, 42.5# injectors, N* w/ 85mm MAF, Meziere Water Pump.

Mod List

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGS
    Just finished my VE tune. Runs better than ever:

Now I'll definitely know when the MAF fails!
    Do you monitor fuel economy? If so, would you please post any differences with this VE table vs the old one.

I tuned my VE table via a wideband and lost about 4-5 MPH on the highway. I did not notice ANY difference in the way the car ran, although the wideband was showing more numbers >14.7 than <14.4 with the tuned VE table. Going back to the previos VE table without making ANY other chnaged brought my fuel mileage back to where it was before I tweaked the VE table.

BTW - I know what I did wrong when I tuned the VE table, so I am going to try this again. The only thing I did was to unplug the MAF and O2 sensor, then scanned and used thre wideband to get the AFR to 14.7:1. I know now I need to make other changes in the VCM file before doing this.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    yh...i have all in one connector, but the temp sensor connect at one connector (white in the pic) and the maff connects to another (black in the pic), then the 5 wires connect into 1 connector at the new maf. You can still remove the stock maf harness (black) from the 5 wire connector while leaving the temp sensor (white) connected to the 5 wire maf

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=603&catid=108
    Oh ya, the 04+ have it all in one. Previous gens are two.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie-98GTP
    Do you monitor fuel economy? If so, would you please post any differences with this VE table vs the old one.

I tuned my VE table via a wideband and lost about 4-5 MPH on the highway. I did not notice ANY difference in the way the car ran, although the wideband was showing more numbers >14.7 than <14.4 with the tuned VE table. Going back to the previos VE table without making ANY other chnaged brought my fuel mileage back to where it was before I tweaked the VE table.

BTW - I know what I did wrong when I tuned the VE table, so I am going to try this again. The only thing I did was to unplug the MAF and O2 sensor, then scanned and used thre wideband to get the AFR to 14.7:1. I know now I need to make other changes in the VCM file before doing this.
    Fuel mpg was not affected. I've been running with the VE table zeroed out for a while, and there has been no change in anything that I can see. I ran a long scan today with a WOT run in the middle, and everything looks good as usual. I'm a little rich on WOT, but that was an adjustment I made to the MAF the other day. I'm still trying to tweak fuel for the hot weather.

2000 Regal GS | Twin-Charged T72 | HPT Pro + PLX Wideband | 12.55 @ 110 on 15psi | Now running 20psi on E85!

1998 5.9L Durango | Powerdyne supercharger @6psi | Mesa Headers | Gibson Cat-back | 1.7 RR's | Tuned PCM | Ported Heads | Custom TB & Intake | Custom fuel rails | Rebuild coming soon...

Tuner
    I don't mean to hijack, but why doesn't my tune have the "MAF fail freq" setting? It's a 2002 GTP, and is attached.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse5302
    I don't mean to hijack, but why doesn't my tune have the "MAF fail freq" setting? It's a 2002 GTP, and is attached.
    Yea it's not an option for my 06 GP either. Here is the method I use to tune VE and disable the MAF without unplugging it.
    1. Set closed loop enable temps to 284*.

2. Set PE VS TPS to 100%.

3. Zero PE Fuel adder vs RPM table.

4. Zero MAF air vs frequency table.

5. Copy high octane timing table to the low octane timing table.

6. Don't touch anything in the idle area of the VE table since it's a real pain to get the car to idle if you do change it.
    06 GPGT, HPtuner, K&N CAI, ZZP CC Plog/Pem/Co, 3" DP HF Cat, Corsa Catback, ZZP 3.5 MPS, 180 stat, AL104s

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm. Yeah, the zeroing of the MAF table should cause a P101 code (I think).. Thus, causing the PCM to ignore the MAF in the same way the high/low frequency errors do.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

So, how weird is this? I was cruising to work today, and my car just dies. I was scanning, so I looked at the DTC screen, and it was a P0101 MAF failure. Since my VE table was zero, the engine just shut off. I restarted the car and no problems since. Really strange. This is one reason to have a good VE tune installed!

Tuner in Training
    LOL....now that sux
    Mike (MOJO)

Mod List

Advanced Tuner
    @BlackGS

Ahh, yeah.. That is why I thought you were just joking about the zeroed VE table.. I can unplug my MAF sensor with the car running and it will hardly skip a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by bilemke
    @BlackGS

Ahh, yeah.. That is why I thought you were just joking about the zeroed VE table.. I can unplug my MAF sensor with the car running and it will hardly skip a beat.
    I had zeroed the VE table a while ago to see if anything changed. Nothing happened, so I just left it for a while. I still don't know why I got that P0101 randomly like that, but I'll be sure to have a good VE from now on!

Tuner in Training charlieRobinson's Avatar
    Reviving this ancient thread..

Can anyone suggest a good outline for VE tuning? My MAF just failed and I am stuck on the VE until I get a new MAF sensor so I am going to take this opportunity to get it tuned.

Thanks
    1999 Riviera L67 SII 3800
    XP HOT cam, 140# springs, Gen V swapped, 60# inj, E85